HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Official Basic Pages Feedback Thread

Comments

• @DenisS, I'm glad that it's working for you.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Version 1.6.1 released. Fixed text box auto grow not working when using Vanilla 2.1+.

• DenisSDenisS My brain hurts Buriram ✭✭

Is there a limit to the size of an HTML doc because it keep cutting of about 1/4 of my doc. So i made page 1 & 2 with a link on Page 1 to get over it. http://www.surin-expatsforum.services-thai.com/page/imm-page-1

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited September 2013

@DenisS, more detail is needed to determine why it is happening. The application isn't truncating the body of pages on purpose.

One possibility is that the database might have truncated the body because the amount of characters was over the text column type limit.

If it wasn't over the character limit of around 65k characters of the database text column type, then it might have to do with Vanilla's formatting methods.

Whether or not it has to do with the database text column type character limit, Vanilla's formatting methods, or something else depends.

As you explained, it gets cut off on the view of the page, but does it also get cut off in the edit page textbox after you save? Also,
    how many characters did the entire body that got truncated have? Google for "character counter" and paste the text in to find out.

• Great, all seems right with v2.2.3.4 ;-) many thank @Shadowdare

edited September 2013

Version 1.7 released.

Sort header site menu links for pages.

Updating from version 1.6.1:

Replace all the files of the application with the new ones, and then re-enable the application or go to /utility/structure.

edited September 2013

Upgrading instructions:

You can upgrade from any old release of Basic Pages.

Simple method: you can disable the app first, download the new app, overwrite the old app files, and re-enable the app.

Alternative method: if you don't want to disable the app first, you can also just download, overwrite the app files, and then re-enable the app or go to /utility/structure link afterwards.

You must re-enable the app or go to /utility/structure link because new releases may have updates to the database, so the upgrade script gets run when you re-enable the app.

Your current pages will still work and are stored in the database.

• Shadowdare, one suggestion if I may.
    There is a great application that works well with both 2.0 and 2.1 versions - it's called candy and basic pages is not compatible with it.
    It may be a good idea to look into the incompatibility issue and make appropriate changes. Candy and Basic Pages fulfill somewhat different functions and being able to use them in tandem would be great.
    Thanks

edited September 2013

@zhlousek, I've just taken a look at Candy. I haven't installed it, but from looking at the file names, it looks like Candy also has a PageController and PageModel. Is this the cause of the incompatibility or is there a different problem? Additionally, would you list some of the different functions you would use each application for as an example?

If this is the cause of the incompatibility, the PageController would have to be renamed in Candy or the URLs would have to be changed in Candy to have the Candy namespace, like "/candy/page/example," because Vanilla loads up the applications alphabetically and caches the first controller it finds and routes all links without an application namespace such as "/page/example" to the first controller it finds. @hgtonight knows more about the namespace issue if you would like some clarification. You would also have to rename the PageModel and all references to it in Candy to something else.

On the other hand, you could do the above with the Basic Pages application, but it makes sense to keep the PageController and PageModel named like they are for the Basic Pages application. Doing so would make the application more confusing because it's about pages.

• @Shadowdare
    Thanks for a quick reply.
    I did not write candy but I do use it.
    Yes, both apps have PageController and PageModel and both are about pages but from slightly different angles.

Candy has a built in router so you can place pages anywhere
    I know how vanilla loads applications (B is before C!).

I am not going to change anything because as I said, I did not write candy.

As I understand it, BasicPages was to be a replacement (not exactly) but kindoff for CustomPages plugin

As for usage of candy and basicpages, why don't you install candy (don't forget its dependancies) and try it.

I don't want to be in the position to defend any app - maybe I misread your reply but I did feel a small degree of annoyance.

My intention was to let you know that there is a problem. I choose to tell you because your app is lot newer than candy.

I suppose one can live with one or the other although, sometimes it is good to use both even when functionalities partially overlap.

Again, thanks for a quick reply.

• @Shadowdare
    I figured out - at least some of issues between Basic Pages and Candy.
    If you care you could make changes.
    As far as I can tell you use singe DB table and it is called GDN_Page.
    That's the same name as candy DB table.
    If you rename it, say, to GDN_BPage it solves the problem - you also need to change your queries

Also, Basic Pages uses the same Dashboard menu item name - Page and changing that as far as I can tell, solves compatibility issues.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I think this app was first made to only work with 2.1 which candy does not. Candy has not been updated in a long time and seems abandoned. Basic Pages is up to date with the newer versions for vanilla , candy is not. Now this app works with 2.0 thanks to kindness from shadowdare.

You can route pages anyway you want you don't need a UI router when all you need is to put the stuff in the dashboard router just the same.

Why don't you make the necessary edits and post the changes here so shadowdare can make use of them if he thinks they are needed.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@vrijvlinder said:
    Why don't you make the necessary edits and post the changes here so shadowdare can make use of them if he thinks they are needed.

Better yet, make a pull request with your changes on the GitHub repository, @zhlousek.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @Shadowdare

Have you got any ideas for a better way to add an event or use other plugins. I'm sure you do. :)

then the method here ---

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/192103/#Comment_192103

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited September 2013

@peregrine, @lifeisfoo mentioned that he would like to submit some changes that include new events.

edited October 2013

Version 1.8.1 released.

• Some themes retrieve the header menu links differently and nest links with the same group ID, so links to pages now have unique group IDs to make the links more consistent across themes.

• Vanilla 2.1+ has a newer drag and drop script that has more options and is used for sorting the order of pages in the header menu, but the version in 2.0.18.8 doesn't have some of the options that was used for only allowing one-level dragging. This update fixes it.

If you find this application useful, please send a donation of any amount by the donation button on the settings page.

• jeongweejeongwee Vanilla version 2.6 ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    @DenisS said : Is there a limit to the size of an HTML doc because it keep cutting of about 1/4 of my doc. So i made page 1 & 2 with a link on Page 1 to get over it.

So do i,vanilla 2.1b2 .basic pages 1.7.1 . On one of my basicpage ,some part of the html codes are missing.

@Shadowdare said : If it wasn't over the character limit of around 65k characters of the database text column type, then it might have to do with Vanilla's formatting methods.

The page i wrote just had 57841 characters,didnt reah 65k characters.

edited October 2013

Version 1.8.3 released.

This release introduces two changes related to the truncation problem:

• A vertical scroll bar is now shown if there is too much text in the body text box.

• The page body text database column type has been changed to longtext, which may be more than necessary, but increases the size limit up to 4 GB of characters.

Upgrade Instructions:

You can either re-enable the Basic Pages application to apply the changes, or go to http://example.com/index.php?p=/utility/structure to run Vanilla's upgrade script after uploading the files.

The two reasons above may be why your page body text got cut short, @jeongwee and @DenisS. If your text reached past 65,535 bytes in total, then it must have gotten truncated because the database column type for the page body was set to text. Additionally, UTF-8 characters use up more bytes. Thanks to @jeongwee for sending me helpful information about this problem.

edited October 2013

Thank you @Shadowdare! i have tested ,i can write more now! basic page is the best plugin here ! im sure that!

@Shadowdare i embed comments into basic pages ,but i failed to style it,is it vanilla or basic page doesnt allowed me to style it.