Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Solved] Plugin not showing up

rbowenrbowen New
edited August 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I've uploaded a plugin (BotStop, specifically) to my plugins directory, and it doesn't show up in the list of plugins to enable. Versions match (it's for Vanilla 2) and the files are all readable. Is there anything obvious I'm likely to be overlooking?

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Most common issue I see is plugins aren't put in the right folder properly.

What does your folder tree look like?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• /var/www/vanilla/plugins/HERE along with 30+ other plugins that do show up. File permissions all match, and no php errors in the logs.

Mind sharing a screenshot of your plugins folders/expanded?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

Nothing jumps out at me. Vanilla works well otherwise?

Search first

• Yeah, everything works. It's not even reading the files in that dir - if I put garbage in them, there's no error, whereas if I put garbage in other plugin files, I get errors immediately - so it's definitely the right directory.

I've been a php programmer professionally for a number of years, so I kinda know what I'm doing in that regard, but this one has me scratching my head. I guess I need to dig a little deeper into the code and see what's going on, but I'm at a loss.

I'm sure I'm overlooking something stupid. When I find it and smack my head, I'll update here ...

• Even putting it manually in conf/config.php doesn't cause it to show up in the plugins admin menu. I'm giving up for tonight. I can't figure out what's going on.

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited August 2013

I don't see an about.php or default.php. That's needed for the plugins to show up in the plugins list.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• What version of Vanilla are you using?

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@UnderDog said:
    I don't see an about.php or default.php. That's needed for the plugins to show up in the plugins list.

It's name is class.botstop.plugin.php and that provides a PluginInfo array. I use that naming convention myself and that has never been a problem in any plugin I've looked at.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited August 2013

hmm

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited August 2013

you seem to have capitalised name please change it to lowercase class.botstop.plugin.php

grep is your friend.

• I have indeed tried those things - that is, renamed the file to default.php, and lowercased it. Strangely, neither of these caused it to be seen. However, writing a plugin from scratch (I've written several) works.

I'm running 2.0.18.8 which is, I believe, latest.

I think I might work on something else today and come back to it later, but the bot problem needs solved, and this is quite the mystery.

• It doesn't appear to be even trying to include() the file, since if I put garbage in it there's no server error.

Perhaps I'm confused on how the plugin system works. Under what conditions does it attempt to re-load the list of available/active plugins?

• are you using any caching software?

grep is your friend.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Maybe there are some strange characters in your files? Could you open the class.botstop.plugin.php in your favorite text editor and check that the content looks alright?

• So, it turns out that the problem is completely outside of the realm of Vanilla.

Aug 22 17:40:29 ip-10-12-182-46 setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing /usr/sbin/httpd from getattr access on the directory /var/www/vanilla/plugins/BotStop. For complete SELinux messages. run sealert -l 78ef7b3c-f09c-4e04-8474-6c5ed92625b5

Ta dah!

grumpy face

• See. I told you it would be something stupid. Working now. Sorry for wasting your time. :(

@rbowen said:
    Sorry for wasting your time. :(

Thanks for posting back with your solution!

Search first

• @rbowen said:
    See. I told you it would be something stupid. Working now. Sorry for wasting your time. :(

It wasn't a waste of time... We had fun helping and I have the feeling you will be helping the community in the same way , once you have time...

There was an error rendering this rich post.