Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

User roles and permissions question

Hi,

I had a question about categories and or discussion permissions.

I know you can create and assign roles to users but can you assign a category or a discussion to specific users only.

For example,

I could have user A, user B, and user C all with the role member. What I want to do is have either a category or a discussion only viewable by user A and user B. Sounds easy right? Just create a new role for user A and user B.

Problem is I will have about 150 members and sometimes only half of these members will have access but it will always be different members which complicates thing.

Is there any plugin or add-on that would allow me to create a discussion or category and assign users to it instead of roles.

Thank you

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I would suggest modifying (or even just using) the built in conversation application. You can have multiple users in each conversation.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Thanks for the reply,

Technically that could work, if we modify it, since typing/searching 50 names could be long and hard so having a predefined list would be ideal.

The other scenario I can see is that it now means the users need to always look at 2 areas of the forum. First they have to check the thread list and then they have to check their inbox.

Not sure the client will go for that.

Anything else you can think of?

I'm surprised there isn't a plugin to create user based permissions instead of role based. Unless I just can't find it.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You might want to support @lifeisfoo with his new groups plugin

• 50sQuiff50sQuiff ✭✭
    edited August 2013

Create a new role (with specific Category permissions) and assign this role (using the BulkEdit plugin) to the members you wish to give access.

I don't see how changing role assignments is any different to manually adjusting permissions on a user-by-user basis.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@adambeaulne Once a conversation is started, posting a message to it will notify everyone in the list. No need to re-type them. You could even copy/paste the username list if you want to create new conversations with the same users.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• lifeisfoolifeisfoo Zombie plugins finder ✭✭✭

@adambeaulne Do you want ACLs for a single discussion or category? Do you want users list (like roles) or customizable users list for every discussion and category (ultra-fine-grained-access)?

Try to explain better, with a real and detailed use case.

There was an error rendering this rich post.