Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Real time notifications?

Some plugin to arrive notifications in real time?

Tagged:

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

Notifications and inform messages by default refresh every two minutes. This is accomplished by polling. Do you need it to be faster than that?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited September 2013

Real time notifications are a good way to DOS your site accidentally. Best avoid.

grep is your friend.

• zentidozentido New
    edited September 2013

@x00 said:
    Real time notifications are a good way to DOS your site accidentally. Best avoid.

I have a server for those capabilities, you can add notifications in real time?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

you are on your own and x00 knows his stuff and warned..

this may be what you are looking for to change. If I am pointing you to the wrong place, I'm sure someone can correct me and point to the correct place just for curiousity sake, not saying its a good idea to change (just the place where the magic happens).

looks like milliseconds.

js/global.js

// Ping for new notifications on pageload, and subsequently every 1 minute.
    pingForNotifications = function(wait) {
        if (!wait)
            wait = 60000;

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited September 2013

@zentido said:
    I have a server for those capabilities, you can add notifications in real time?

Then get your team to up it, you can override pingForNotifications

If you just wanted your notification to come with the request, rather then waiting the initial period. Then you can use a pluigns/themehooks you could experiment with something like

public function Base_Render_Before($Sender){
        NotificationsController::InformNotifications($Sender);
    }

it should be picked up by InformMessageStack

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited September 2013

the problem with polling is the effect get multiplied, you have a lot of of user that leave their tabs open.

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@x00 said:
    the problem with polling is the effect get multiplied, you have a lot of of user that leave their tabs open.

Or someone like me that likes to open up every discussion in its own tab and close them as I read them.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.