Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Users can't edit their own EMAIL addresses - hangs

This discussion was created from comments split from: Users can't change their email information in "Edit My Account"!.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

Comments

• Options

I recently launched my first vanilla forum and just hit this bug as well :(

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New MVP
    edited October 2013

Make sure $Configuration['Garden']['Profile']['EditUsernames'] = TRUE; is in your config file. This will let a user change their own username, regardless of permissions to edit others.

There is a bug in the redirect logic after a username has been edited, see issue number 1389 here for more information.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

My issue is they cant edit their own EMAIL addresses. Just hangs.

• Options

@jackjitsu said:
    My issue is they cant edit their own EMAIL addresses. Just hangs.

Create your own issue next time to avoid this situation. There were multiple issues listed in the original discussion. I picked the issue I though you were having and ran with it.

Back on topic:

The usermodel is making a call to a non-existent static function on RoleModel. I was able to backport a few changes from 2.1 in to the 2.0 branch and get it working. This isn't ideal, so I am looking for a better solution atm.

Search first

• Options

@jackjitsu

@hgtonight

Bizarre, I am using 2,0.18.8 (i don;t know which version this problem is referencing).

nor do I understand the question....

perhaps the question , details and a screenshot can be posted by questioner, or people like me who can't understand - won't understand the problem :).

but I can change e-mail as a member - if that is the question.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    edited October 2013

@peregrine do you have Garden.Registration.ConfirmEmail set to true? Setting it to false will bypass the odd code.

Search first

• Options

If a user goes to EDIT MY ACCOUNT and attempts to change their email, its just hangs with the little animated squares going back and forth.

Username AND Email are in a form together, so im doubting there is a difference between being able to reset their username vs reset their email... could be wrong.

As the admin I can do it fine. I looked through the permissions and nothing jumped out at me.

Does vanilla log internal errors that it doesnt show the user anywhere? Like in the php log file?

• Options

@jackjitsu The reason it "hangs" is that the server returns an error. This has to do with the email confirm role settings.

You can view the response using a web inspector (just look at the response contents).

Changing it as an administrator bypasses the email confirm branch of the code, hence no hanging.

Search first

• Options

Not sure what you mean by web inspector. Can you list examples of these?

Chrome built in dev tools dont seem to give me any info for a pop up window that is stuck. Where would the response be?

• Options

In Chrome use Ctrl + Shift + i and click on the network tab. Then submit your form. Click on the proper row to see the response.

Search first

• Options

Im on 2.0.18.8, whats the correct approach here?

• Options

Yep... can see the missing method you mentioned.

• Options

Set $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ConfirmEmail'] = FALSE; in your config file and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then you can revert it to true confident that this is the issue.

Search first

• Options
    jackjitsujackjitsu ✭✭
    edited October 2013

That works.... but if it disables the requirement for newly registered users to confirm their emails, I cant use that. Im getting 30 SPAM sign ups a day even with captcha and stopforumspam running.

Instead I replaced the line:

if (RoleModel::Roles($ConfirmEmailRoleID)) { 

with

if (0){

that works too. Not sure about the consequences though.... a bit nervous.

Looks to me, the code that breaks, is simply trying to re-activate the ConfirmEmail Role when someone changes their email address. That would make sense.

If that the case, im fine without disabling that for now.

• Options
    edited October 2013

Since this is fixed in 2.1, it probably won't ever be addressed officially.

So I attached a patch file that details the changes needed to port that functionality over. I highly suggest you just wait for 2.1 to be released.

Search first

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

@jackjitsu

an esoteric alternative....

30 SPAM sign ups a day even with captcha and stopforumspam running

you could try approval registration and
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/registrationrestrictlogger-plugin
    and botstop and see it it reduces spam.

changing e-mail doesn't hang in 2.0.18.8 with the above plugins and registration for me.

you could also add to poll...

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/24785/poll-which-registration-method-and-plugins-do-you-use-to-deter-spammers-and-their-efficacy#latest

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Manual approval is too much work. I have a lot of sites. My first vanilla site im going to use to shake out all the little issues and learn the ropes.

BotStop has a conflict with the current release version of vanilla.

Forget the name of the plugin which allows you to ask a question during registration... but it conflicts with the custom theme I bought... still actively working on solutions right now.

• Options

I highly suggest Akismet. It blocks registrations and checks unverified accounts postings for spam.

Search first

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

BotStop has a conflict with the current release version of vanilla.

what is the current release of vanilla :). What is the conflict?

Forget the name of the plugin which allows you to ask a question during registration... but it conflicts with the custom theme I bought... still actively working on solutions right now.

botstop allows you to ask question. which theme.

• Options

2.0.18.8 is the current download link

Hmmmm I just re-installed BotStop to see what the conflict was.

1st issue is, the big footer in my custom theme appears BETWEEN the regular form fields and the BotStop additional fields.

2nd issue went away. I think that was my fault based on the incorrect use of adsense script code with the Pockets plugin which causes BotStops fields to be hidden BEHIND the big footer of my custom theme.

I can live with this. Hope it works.