Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to have text next to a username

Hi. I would like my forum to have text next to the username. Look on @lincoln profile. 'Snapperhead' is an example of what I want. How to do this?

Comments

• I doubt it.

Do you get what i'm saying?

Lincoln | Snapperhead | Vanilla Staff

'Snapperhead' and 'Vanilla Staff' is the type of what I want

• Do you get what i'm saying?

Do you?

Role Title is the closet thing you will find. Or Role Signature or Role Title Badge, or even Symbol Edit which you can always modify to your needs :)

Do you see mine ? Here it is called Title and you only get a chance after gaining certain amount of points.

• @vrijvlinder Thanks, but that wasn't quite what I wanted.

• Use the Profile Extender plugin to create a field called "Title" and let us know if it does what you want.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Not quite, but quite acceptable. BUT, if anyone has a closer one, I'll try it. Mainly, I want not everyone to have options to the "Title" option, but access to every option other then "Title"

• Basically, what I want is not everyone to have access to "Title". But, Vanilla doesn't have an option to do that.

• edited October 2013

It will be helpful to state your Vanilla version number in all new discussions concerning new features or problems as people who may have an answer might not have seen your previous posts.

In Vanilla 2.1+, you can add the following line to your /conf/config.php file to display the built in "Title" field while editing a user's profile. The title should show up in next to the user's name on their posts.

$Configuration['Garden']['Profile']['Titles'] = TRUE;

The permission for who can use the field on this website is most likely based on the amount of points a user has from the reactions plugin that is only available with the official Vanilla hosting service.

• Well, I will change it if I can

• Well, I'm gonna have to look in the way to change a security system of it, BUT it does what I want. I will probably just make a policy of how regulars members can use it, but I can make a exception for Staff and Administrators (me) since I can trust them, although, I can just remember that I CAN CHANGE other user's titles if they violate policy, although that title function did exactly what I want, @shadowdare Thanks! If there's not a tutorial already, I'll post it!

• Of course, @shadowdare gets credit if he / she wants it.

• It seems that all members have access to the "Title" field on this website, so it seems that there isn't a permission setting built in for who can use the field anyway.

• Well, how do we set a permission setting?

• edited October 2013

One thing you can do is override the view of the profile edit page to only show the field for certain members or roles.

If there is an event in the code before the profile edit form gets saved to the database, then another thing you can do is add form validation for who can actually submit the form with the "Title" field by making a plugin.

If there isn't an event there, you can make a plugin that provides something similar to the field and displays it next to the user's names in posts, but provides permissions on who can use it.

Another thing you can do is hide the title from getting displayed in certain users' posts and profile pages with CSS code and classes added to the key elements via a plugin regardless of what they put in the field.

Click this link to go to the wiki for guides on how to do many things in Vanilla: http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Main_Page

• Well, why make it open to only some people? I made it open to everyone but for anything except Staff and Administrator, I set up rules on abuse and security.

• edited October 2013

@ilovetech said:
    Well, why make it open to only some people? I made it open to everyone but for anything except Staff and Administrator, I set up rules on abuse and security.

You just asked how to add this feature by saying:

Well, how do we set a permission setting?

It seems that you changed your mind and found the solution to your question, so this discussion can be closed now.

• LincLinc Admin
    edited October 2013

You can create fields called "Title" and "Location" using Profile Extender and it will work the same way. Those 2 names are magic.

Title is granted to specific folks by using Ranks which isn't open source.

• edited October 2013

@ilovetech, if you want to learn more about the ranks feature from Vanilla's hosted service, click this link: http://vanillaforums.com/blog/news/using-vanilla-ranks/

• I am not in the mood to pay for hosting service from Vanilla when I use a free hosting service. I don't need a fancy domain. Just a way to host for free and that's me right there. (my opinion) I don't need a service that has fancy domains and fancy polka dots.

• And @lincoln I host my own forum, so I don't get Ranks, so saying that for me would be useless, but you may have changed someone's life. (just saying)