Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Animated GIFs are not supported in ImageUpload addon

hgtonighthgtonight MVP
edited October 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
@chuck911 This discussion was created from comments split from: Is this plugin supposed to work straight out of the box????.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

Comments

• Great!! ThX for fixing this.. ;)

Still have the Problem, that animated Gifs are not loading... it loads just one Still Image of the animated gif....

Using Vanilla 2.1. B2, tried it with Opera and Firefox...

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

@Dr_Sommer said:

Still have the Problem, that animated Gifs are not loading... it loads just one Still Image of the animated gif....

that could be a blessing in disguise :).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• edited October 2013

@Dr_Sommer said:
    Great!! ThX for fixing this.. ;)
    Using Vanilla 2.1. B2, tried it with Opera and Firefox...

Does the gif animate when you click on it ? I am pretty sure that the thumbnails are not created as gifs they get converted into jpg or jpeg . So it is possible that the thumbs are what don't load as gifs.

Also some browsers have settings to turn off animated gifs .Make sure you check this . Here is some resources about that. To find the config settings for the browser to enable or disable gifs. Did not find much on how to enable so I suppose the disable in reverse would work the way you want. This is something @peregrine could use :)

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Animated-Images-in-a-Browser

http://techdows.com/2013/02/disable-animated-gifs-in-chrome-firefoxie.html

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

great plugin chuck and nice mod shadowdare....

@V said:
    Did not find much on how to enable so I suppose the disable in reverse would work the way you want. This is something @peregrine could use :)

animated gifs, never met one I could watch more than once for one loop! prefer the ones that only show one frame!

@Dr_Sommer
    for animated gifs, if it is a big deal to you, you could modify plugin or core.

since the uploaded image is processed via SaveImageAs

you would have to use a different function or change the core.

it has to do with function SaveImageAs in class.uploadimage.php in the core, not the plugin per se. But if the plugin didn't use SaveImageAs and used a different method it wouldn't be calling the core function :).

see the comments re animated gif and you can try to customize your core or the plugin if you choose.

http://php.net/manual/en/function.imagegif.php

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.imagecreatefromgif.php#104473

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• edited October 2013

@Dr_Sommer, please don't modify the core files, and instead, use an image hosting site for animated GIFs.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• @peregrine said:animated gifs, never met one I could watch more than once for one loop! prefer the ones that only show one frame!

On Fecebook you could not upload an animated gif , well you could but it was converted. Now you can but it has a play button to start the animation. Something I find quite good. That would be a great plugin. Or whatever it is considered.

I don't mind one or two but when everyone uses even just animated avatars, it can have a drastic impact on loading speed. Some images can contain hundreds of frames. I see them on gaming sites and such.

• Not sure if this still applies I think it should

$Configuration['Garden']['Thumbnail']['SaveGif'] = TRUE;

• Dr_SommerDr_Sommer ✭✭
    edited October 2013

@ vrijvlinder:

I did it with imageUpload and FileUpload plugin... imageUpload converts it in a still GIF Image (checked with GIMP), FileUpload loads the Animated GIF as it should... animated.. ;)

So no problem with my Browsers.. ;)

Ok, this is really no biggy, just thought that for completion the plugin should do also GIF images...

for the few times i can use FileUpload for that.. thx.. ;)

p.s. :

$Configuration['Garden']['Thumbnail']['SaveGif'] = TRUE;
    not working...

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

theoretically the plugin could check for animated gif and just move and upload the file instead of a saveas conversion.

but it is no biggie as you say.

• FileUpload only uses the SaveImageAs function for thumbnails.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• @Shadowdare said:
    FileUpload only uses the SaveImageAs function for thumbnails.

exactly.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

the unfortunate thing about splitting a discussion that is associated with a plugin is that it throws the split question into outer space.

in this case - probably a good idea to go to outer space, since it is a trivial deal.

something to think about moderators. when splitting @hgtonight or developers @Lincoln

• As there is no other discussion to add this comment regarding GIF images not working, I don't want to add clutter if this thread should not have been split or anything.

But has there been a solution to this? GIFs are a big part of my forum and the FileUpload plugin doesn't automatically enter images nor allow multiple images at once so this plugin is much preferred.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

@chrisk22985 said:
    As there is no other discussion to add this comment regarding GIF images not working, I don't want to add clutter if this thread should not have been split or anything.

But has there been a solution to this? GIFs are a big part of my forum and the FileUpload plugin doesn't automatically enter images nor allow multiple images at once so this plugin is much preferred.

gifs are supported for uploads if you change your config statement - this has been mentioned before in numerous discussions.

$Configuration['Garden']['Upload']['AllowedFileExtensions'] = array('txt', 'jpg', 'jpeg', 'gif', whateverextensionyouwant');
    $Configuration['Garden']['Upload']['MaxFileSize'] = '64M';  // put the max size you want (php.ini has ultimate control)

Animated gifs is NOT.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/167534/#Comment_167534

allow multiple images at once
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/plupload-plugin

• Right I've added that string to my config already and I was curious about Animated GIFS but I see that this plugin doesn't support them