Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

HTML Parsing is broken for me

After attempting to figure this out for days, I must make this post.

My forums parser is not working correctly.

My input formatter is set as:
$Configuration['Garden']['InputFormatter'] = 'Html';

I installed the Htmlawed plugin from a fresh install and set my config to:
$Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['HtmLawed'] = 'HtmLawed';
(by the way, changing 'HtmLawed' to TRUE doesn't do it either, though I'm not sure which one is the correct way.)

All the format tables in my Database are set to Html for my comments and discussions.

Disabling all plugins does nothing.

I host at Pagodabox.com, which is a Read Only environment, and the only real clue I have is if I redeploy the site, the Parser works for one refresh of a page, and then goes back to broken.

And it happens on two different forums.

Thanks for any clues you can give me.

Comments

• Also, I'd like to note that the "Rice Balls" plugin parses Smilies correctly..

:(

• Interesting, it doesn't work on a fresh install either.

http://vanilla-default.gopagoda.com/

• This is almost certainly down to pagoda, and persistence rather then vanilla. Read the doc on pagoda, as you don't push you config when you change it it will not persist.

https://pagodabox.com/features/shared-writable-storage

grep is your friend.

• I do agree that it's most likely Pagoda.

I edit the config.php through my sftp client, because you can't push up the shared writable storage via git. It just ignores those directories.

What it seems to me, is that the forum isn't constantly reading the config perhaps? Unfortunately I don't know how/when vanilla accesses the config.php

• every request.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited October 2013

So if you apply changes such as enabling a plugin it works, it just doesn't persist changes applied via ftps? There is probably a caching layer.

grep is your friend.

• Yes, if I activate a plugin from Dashboard, it will take effect immediately.

If I make changes to config.php via Transmit (sftp client), I have to redeploy the site.

When that site is redeployed, HTML shows up correctly for one refresh.

I'm not aware of any implicit caching on pagoda.

• I've posted on Pagoda Support. I'm gonna be a damn expert in these two things not to far from now. lol.

Anyway, does anyone know any other git based hosting solutions that work with Vanilla in case I have to change hosts?

Also, I set up my forum, a default forum, and v2.1b2 and they all have this issue.

I know its not this communities issue, but any ideas as to why this might happen in a Read-Only environment would help greatly, thanks. :)

• Do you think any PHP extensions would get in the way of this?

• I figured it out!

The APC extension for Stats was conflicting with PHP 5.4.14

I will write up or make a video of Vanilla with Pagoda, because aside from it's quirks, its a great workflow.

• I vote for write-up rather than video.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@LucasKA said:
    Anyway, does anyone know any other git based hosting solutions that work with Vanilla in case I have to change hosts?

This has actually been covered before, but I installed git on my web host and use a post receive hook to checkout a read only copy to my web folder. It doesn't track config.php or the cache folder.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.