Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[Solved] Embedded Forum has lost itself- how to reset??

vbjessvbjess New
edited October 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'm trying to embed my forum (currently in a subfolder on my server) into my Wordpress site (target URL: www.azfibro.com/discussions).

I've got the embed code copied over into the Wordpress VF plugin, and I think I have all the appropriate target links entered in the admin Dashboard on both VF and Wordpress. The problem is that I'm getting an error message now when I try to navigate to the target URL ("BONK" message). I'm still pretty new to both Wordpress and Vanilla forums, so that could be the whole problem.

I'm also having problems adding the askimet plugin, but that's another discussion thread.. one problem at a time.

Ideas?

Jess

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Hi, Can you specify the Vanilla version you are using ?

Is the stand alone forum reachable?

Do you have a Link to the site?

Please follow these steps to get behind the Bonk

http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Bonk_Errors

• Options

I'm using version 2.0.18.4.

No, it doesn't seem to be reachable. I'm thinking that's part of the problem. Wordpress is now telling me that it can't validate the original URL (www.azfibro.com/forum2). I'm looking at the files in my file manager on bluehost, so I know they do actually exist.

Working on the debugging now...

• Options
    edited October 2013

Please upgrade to Version 2.0.18.8 for some fixes.
    I suspect a missing Smarty folder and possibly other stuff. before you go any further since it is a new install, please download the newer version.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/vanilla-core-2.0.18.8

• Options

I'm not seeing any error messages showing up.

• Options

please upgrade with the version above. Then before you try to embed let's get the forum to run.

You must have WP and Vanilla in separate directories .

• Options

OK, re-installed, but lost all the old discussions in the process. Meanwhile, Wordpress still cannot find it.

• Options

You do have it in separate directories ?

Forget about WP for a moment let's get the forum to work.

What is the address to the stand alone forum?

• Options

Also lost my user database... hope I still have that backed up on the hard drive...

• Options

www.azfibro.com/forum2 .... same as above.

• Options

You should always make backups before upgrading or re installing, I am sorry I failed to remind you :(

If you have backups you can get them back. If you created a new database when reinstalling the info is still in the old database.

• Options

The forum now works, but it's totally empty. The goal was to get this over to WP to make things less confusing for my users with a single sign on that also allowed users to cross-reference other materials on the site without having multiple tabs/windows open.

• Options
    edited October 2013

Try to import the data from your backup. Your host also has a back up of your whole site. You can ask them to revert from backup and then try this all over again.

To get it over to WP you don't need the plugin . All you do is read the tutorial about how to embed your forum on WP. I covered it well.

• Options

I had tons of backups before I had to reinstall windows last month (cluster bomb virus - long story, ended up being easier to format and reinstall)- that is partially my fault. I've been having problems with the forum for a while (been originally installed for at least six months), but it's been pretty low priority.

OK, good to know. Every time I've tried to work with VF, I have really frustrating problems. Every time I'm told to move/copy a file in my server with VF, I have another problem. This is basically my last straw with VF.

• Options

Don't lose it , This is very easy, but sometimes we fumble the first few tries , but it is easier than WP
    in many respects. It is very simple to manage.
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/24780/how-to-embed-your-forum-into-a-wordpress-page#latest

• Options

Backup is not working. Most recent is from this September. Tells me nothing is found. I think I've had it with this software. I've worked with Windows since v 3.11 and never had this many problems with a single piece of software.

• Options

And yes, WP and VF are in separate directories.

• Options

Thanks for the help, but this is kind of useless without getting the backups restored.

• Options

You can ask your host to revert the forum installation to their latest backup before this. I know they only hold backups for a week or so at least mine does. So get at them if you want them to do this asap.

The problem is not the software, or it would not have won best forum software. Hundreds of Thousands using this software successfully and we only see small percentage of those people here. That tells me that the majority of people using this, have been successful .

Please try to recover your data. I hope you do. And that that you continue using this, if not best of luck with whatever you decide to use.

• Options

I'm already on the phone with Bluehost. There is something basic and essential I'm missing with this whole thing. I was writing html at 8 years old (2 decades ago) - so why can't I get this to work? Very frustrating.

• Options

Well this is php in all of it's glory and it is a bit different than html. It makes html look old even if we still use it . Once you get the hang of it you will be addicted and love it .....trust me on that.