Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Invite-only discussions?

Need to make discussions invite-only - i.e. author can invite others, and invitees can invite others. Others cannot see or edit the discussion. I didn't find an add-on that does something similar.

What's the best way to customize the code for this -
1) Customize the My Discussions filter but add other invitees to the Discussion and only present My Discussions tab? Which files is the My Discussions filter coded in?
2) Customize the Discussions class to add members to the discussion and filter All Discussions by member?

Pl advise
thanks
Kiran

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Use the conversations application that works exactly like you describe by default and is bundled with every Vanilla installation.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Thanks .. how do i access the "Conversations" application? I tried the following
    - these 3 URLs return the same page as vanilla/discussions - localhost//index.php/conversations, localhost//index.php/conversations/conversations, localhost//index.php/messages

• if I drop the index.php, it returns "Page not found", so the .htaccess doesn't seem to work very well.

• I tried disabling the vanilla app but the above 3 URLs return "Page not found"

thanks
    Kiran

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

It's the Private Message system.

In 2.1 it's the little envelope icon, in 2.0.x.x I think it is the Inbox link.

• Options

Sorry about my short reply, phones will do that to you. :(

/messages/inbox is the main jumping off point for private messages.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

thanks - i want to invite non-registered users via email/social networks to the conversation via ShareThis plug-in? If i include the conversation id in the URL, is there a convenient method that can associate the conversation with the user after he/she clicks through the invite URL and signs up?

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited October 2013

hgtonight may know of a programmatic solution, but normally, someone in the conversation adds in another user, who then gets an Inbox notification.

• Options

I can't think of a convenient way to do this, no.

I can think of a few convoluted ways to do it. Generate an invitation and store the conversation ID in the invitation table. Once they sign up, check if they exist as an accepted user in the invite table. If you find them, add their ID to any conversations found in the invite table.

All this on top of allowing guests to see specific conversations doesn't seem like a very good solution.

Search first