Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[SSO] Sharing account registration with website*

theallantheallan New
edited November 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi all,

On my site I use the Vanilla user account information as a single sign on system, and the works well. I have a custom form which can use bused to register a new user outside of Vanilla, which posts the required details and then redirects back out of the forum (if needed). However, I'd really like to be able to offer that particular form without recaptcha - I'm concerned that its hurting conversion rates there.

So what I'd really like to do is have a sign up form which registers a user account so they have an account, but before they could post in the forum, they'd need to enter a recaptcha. Is that possible?

Thanks,
Allan

Answers

• Sorry to bump, but I'd love to know if this can be done.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

You want a registration form without a captcha. If they want to post, they have to pass a captcha before they are allowed.

You can set the registration method to basic via a config setting. Do not give posting privileges by default. Then you will have to create a plugin that shows a recaptcha and changes roles if solved properly (and the user does not already have posting permissions). Put that as your 'DefaultPermission' route.

Just one approach, but creating a form is pretty easy using the form object.

You can read about plugin development on the community wiki. If this isn't really your style, I am sure you could find a developer that would do this for a fee.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I think it is a good idea to make the registration process as easy as possible. But if you delay the moment where you can part bot registrations from human registrations, the bots will flood your user table.

An alternative could be to implement a more user friendly captcha. I love that one: http://areyouahuman.com/about-playthru/ but x00 pointed out that it could be tricked relatively easy by spammers. His favorite is that one: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/asirra/ It's not funny, but at least it is some kind of cute ;)

Maybe one day I will try myself on implementing such a captcha...