Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Confirmation emails are not being sent

I just did a fresh install using Vanilla version 2.0.18.8. I chose the "approval" option for member registration, and then checked the box that says "Require users to confirm their email addresses (recommended)."

But for some reason, Vanilla is not sending the confirmation emails when new members sign up. It's not that they are being sent to spam folders ... they're just not being sent at all. I tested it by setting up several "dummy" accounts. I am able to sign up as a new member, and then I get the pop-up message that a confirmation email has been sent. But the email never comes through.

This is my third Vanilla project, so I'm pretty familiar with the setup process. I've never had this issue before. I have another site where the confirmation emails come through just fine. The settings on the new (problematic) site are the exact same as the other sites that work fine. It is baffling.

Has anyone else had an issue like this? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should try?

The forum, which is a work in progress, is located here:
http://www.reptileknowledge.com/forums/

Thanks for your time!

Tagged:

Comments

• Try to do Basic, because Approval means that you have to approve them as an Admin. Basic is a Confirm Email way. Try basic and please report back if it works

• Thanks for your input.

"Approval means that you have to approve them as an Admin."

That's exactly what I want. I want to manually approve new members to prevent spammers from joining. Vanilla is set up to allow this. It's just not working for some reason. I manually approve members on my other forum, and it works great. Zero spammers. Hmmm ... maybe I'll try to reinstall and see if that fixes my issue.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

are any other types e-mail notifications being sent?

what type of mail config are you running?

if you are using something like sendmail - have you looked in the logs?
    if SMTP - have you checked the account outbox to see if mail is being sent?

more info = better feedback

• Well, I sort of just installed the program and expected it to send emails properly, as it is designed to do. I might have been expecting too much. I'm not an expert on email configuration. I have no idea what sendmail is. I installed the forum program on a GoDaddy hosted account, so I assume it's trying to use their webmail program to send confirmation emails.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

ask godaddy if php sendmail is configured for your account, and if it is, ask for the recent log files.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@brandon72 said:
    I installed the forum program on a GoDaddy hosted account...

Did you copy the files yourself or did you use a one click installer?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• I was having this same problem and I switched my outgoing email to an SMTP host (using my Gmail account).

1. Put gmail address in the SMTP User field
    2. Put your gmail password in the SMTP password field
    3. Put SMTP port 465
    4. Choose SMTP security SSL

I don't know if I did the right thing as I know only enough to get things to work but that seemed to help.

I'm not sure if this helped the problem I was having of all the Welcome emails going to people's Spam folder but perhaps there is a different fix for that. Any ideas?