Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Hiring a Custom Theme Designer

Hi All:

This post is a follow up post from "What do I do? CSS and WP Theme issues*" I was trying to integrate a Vanilla forum into my WP site using Vanilla 2.1b. Since I am slow as a snail in css and never wrote a custom theme I attempted to hire a theme/WP developer. My theme changes were pretty simple and I even took the time to have a creative brief and layout for him. I gave him the URL for the Vanilla Theme Documentation. What he did was ignore everything and CSS Vanilla Core. I opened a new discussion based on the suggestion from the community. How do you hire the right person? My second largest question how do move the edits to a custom CSS file?
PS Anyone want to get paid to do this??

Comments

• Options

Oh ya after paying him for the last two weeks he has finally come to the conclusion that he needed to write a custom theme file. (I told him this already 10 times!) He has wasted my time and money, I'm pretty sure I need to stop the project but I dont feel I should have to pay him....any comments?

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I would tell him that you are unsatisfied with his work product and don't wish to work with him in the future.

Polite, but to the point. There is no reason to work with someone that makes you feel uncomfortable.

I am happy to help you move your modded files into a custom theme file.

PM me with details.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

You got it. I let him go but was nice about it.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

What are the odds of two people using the same avatar picture.

slim - you might think.

look at @kirkpa and look at @jens1seo

got me confused that jens1seo is using the same avatar as kirkpa

same penguin photo.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5018160/uploads/userpics/156/pRZNTWZ8SUL4B.jpg

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Well, if you need to write a custom theme file, I will TRY to help you (doesn't guarantee that I will be an expert) but let me ask you this: What version of Vanilla and what theme?

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@ilovetech said:
    Well, if you need to write a custom theme file, I will TRY to help you (doesn't guarantee that I will be an expert) but let me ask you this: What version of Vanilla and what theme?

Have you ever created a custom theme before?

• Options
    edited November 2013

I know CSS and if I know CSS, how hard will it be to build a CSS file

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@ilovetech said:
    I know CSS and if I know CSS, how hard will it be to build a CSS file

Not to be pessimistic, but "building a theme" and "building a CSS file" are two very different tasks.

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@jens1seo said:
    How do you hire the right person?

When we need to hire someone to do work for us, we specify several parameters:

1. We ask to show us previous work and information on how it was implemented, including difficulties that were encountered during the development.
    2. We have a fixed budget, which won't increase without our approval. This already filters out a lot of "cowboys", who would play the trick of giving you a cheap estimate, to just keep charging you "because it takes longer and longer and longer".
    3. Unless otherwise agreed, any upfront payment must be returned if the project is dropped by the contractor. This filters out another chunk of cowboys, the ones of "I got the upfront payment, I will wait for a few days, abandon the project and keep the money".
    4. Deadlines and milestones must be respected. We don't pay extra when the project is running late, we demand a discount instead.

The above rules are strict enough to scare off many time wasters. Of course, they can be relaxed as needed, but they work quite well as an initial filter.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Ilovetech

Before you offer your services as a theme designer (even unpaid), it would be a good idea for you to build your own theme, and then to display that as proof of your competence.

The answer to 'how hard can it be?', by the way, is anywhere from 'not very', where you are just changing a few colours', to 'head spinningly' if you are trying to implement a range of features and plugins.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@whu606 said:
    Ilovetech

Before you offer your services as a theme designer (even unpaid), it would be a good idea for you to build your own theme, and then to display that as proof of your competence.

The answer to 'how hard can it be?', by the way, is anywhere from 'not very', where you are just changing a few colours', to 'head spinningly' if you are trying to implement a range of features and plugins.

It's ok, he saw someone fly an airplane once. They just sat there most of the time looking out the window, how hard could that be?

• Options
    @businessdad I guess you're right. I'm referring to what the Sharks on Shark Tank
    "I'm out"