Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Need help on theme !

I am very new to vanilla forum and is finding some difficulty working with it. I am not a very good programmer. So, I want some help from the community.
But one question, why there are so few themes (it has been quite a bit now this community has evolved), and even if they are there they are not updated. Few good looking theme are old as back to 2010 but newer ones are not attractive. Seems as if they were made for the sake of making. But vanilla as a forum software is really promising- light, uncomplicated in use and intrusive. That is why I am here.

Now, let me get to the problem. [The version of my vanilla is 2.0.18.8]

1) I liked the "Fruit" theme and wanted to use that for my site. However, in the header part I am having some issue. Header is working fine in all part except register page or login page where logo is mixing with advert. However, in all other pages, they are fine. You can go to home page of domainhostforum.com and you will see that header is fine. Now click on "Apply for Membership" you will be taken to Registration page. There is where problem occuring in header. Due to which even the content is also having some problem as they have pushed the content, affecting css. Can anyone suggest me how can i correct that.

2) I really liked the new changes in seo friendly url. Last time when I installed the same version 2.0.18.8 those urls were ugly i.e. index.php/p?=discussions; something like that). For all the links, things are working really very well, however url of post are leaving "-" (dash) at the end of url. You can click on sample discussion post I have created. "www.domainhostforum.com/discussion/1/welcome-aboard-" . Here you can see - after aboard. How can i remove that last dash from every thread url.

3) Also in the meta property they have filled something like meta property = og:image, og:sitename, og:title, og:description and all pages are showing same meta property. Can't i make it dynamic or if not remove it.

4) Is it ok to use fruit theme because, i checked their release date. They seem to quite old. Did anyone used it before and had any problems? Please suggest me on that. But the thing is I really didn't like any other theme. I want to stick with it. And if necessary make some customization with it to meet my need. However first I have to get more familiar with Vanilla forum software 9Editing header, css and all those stuff).

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

generally if you have a question on a particular theme or plugin it is best to post under the addon section so it is referenced for you. In that way people who ask about theme will see it on the comments related to the theme. It will also make it easier to locate questions regarding their own themes or plugins.

Also if your question is about a specific plugin or theme - it is best to reference it in your Title.

• phreak is listed as author

• You might want to post your under theme and close this discussion unless you have a general question about all themes.

click here http://vanillaforums.org/addon/fruit-theme and start your new question.

as for answers - I would suggest you look in tutorials regarding thee development.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I am sorry but I am new to this forum and didn't know where to post. Can i can repost the question there. I mean go to the theme and then "Ask a question" there.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

yes. @hgtonight can close or maybe delete this one so there is no duplication.

good luck. I'm not a theme developer.

also you can mention the author of theme or plugin i(f you want) in your discussion by placing the @ symbol in front of their name and they will be alerted to your question

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

This discussion has been closed.