Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Trouble Exporting from Simple Press 5.34

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Make sure you are using the latest version of the porter, which is 1.8 as of this writing.

Your export file indicates 1.6.9.

Might help.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Dumped with the more recenter version; makes no difference. The problem seem to be as noted above. The header line is being read twice, and the code does not know how to handle the header line. As a newbie to Vanilla, I'm a bit perplexed. This seems like a problem that would crop up often, no? Any guidance about how I should go about fixing this? I'd like to do it in a way that contributes to the project, but how's this done?

• Options

If you post the export script and left one record in each table. (remove the other records

and changed the character in the line for the personal info.
    but leave all punctuation , intact.

e.g. I bet i could help you.

5, 'ta', '$P$BcHonOKccl/ngIwa/Y83bBg5uXP.', 'Vanilla', NULL, NULL, 'ta@none.com', 0, 'm', 0, 0, 1, NULL, NULL, 'a:2:{s:16:"PreviewThemeName";s:0:"";s:18:"PreviewThemeFolder";s:0:"";}', '', 'a:6:{s:12:"TransientKey";s:12:"FM52A8HLXD27";s:21:"CountCommentSpamCheck";i:1;s:20:"DateCommentSpamCheck";s:19:"2013-03-21 23:26:41";s:34:"Notifications.InformLastActivityID";s:4:"2315";s:24:"CountDiscussionSpamCheck";i:1;s:23:"DateDiscussionSpamCheck";s:19:"2013-03-21 23:21:08";}', NULL, NULL, '2012-07-05 21:27:37', '2013-03-22 20:41:03', NULL, '2012-07-05 21:27:37', NULL, '2013-03-22 20:41:03', '127.0.0.1', -3, NULL, 0, 0, 0, 1, 5, NULL, 1, NULL, NULL, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, NULL, 0, NULL, 0, NULL, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, NULL

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@peregrine, might take you up on that. meanwhile, is this not a bug in the importer?

• Options

More like a feature request. The porter doesn't claim to support simple press 5.34.

I do know that the developers add support for forums when they get a enough dumps of a specific forum to reasonably test it. And when they have time.

You might be able to hire a dev in this community to create a working version of the porter for Simple Press 5.34.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

I found a python script that claims to convert from simple press to phpbb here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1205

I also tried to read the db documentation on simple press 5 but it is behind a pay wall. :(

Search first

• Options

@hgtonight, I've got a pay account there, but that database structure page in the codex "needs writing." So there's no data on it. Not sure how to proceed here. It's hard to see how deep this problem runs. And not being familiar with this importer code or Vanilla Forums as a framework, this could be time consuming. I tried to write a simple line of code to skip the header, and then fixed another bug in the code that seemed to crop up. Then I got as far as the Authenticating User step, and then it got stuck, saying it didnt' recognize the user or password...

I tried to maually change the password by adding a new md5 hashed string to the password part. Didnt' work. That's an md5 hash it's expecting yeah?

• Options

@peregrine, here's a sample dump: http://pastebin.com/6MkFuGZq

• Options

Well I got past the user verification problem -- my uploads directory was not writeable and so the user table was not being saved and could not beimported. The import apparently finished, but while the Users were imported, no conversation data was imported. It seems likely at this point that the porter tool needs to have a special class written for Simple Press 5.34 or 5.* or whatever...

• Options
    edited November 2013

SimplePress runs on WordPress, right?

So it would expect a WordPress formatted password. It looks like they use salt and 8 passes of md5 hashing by default.

I think @peregrine was looking for a dump of the original SimplePress db with 1 record in each.

Search first

• Options

this is an idea how you can manually install to go through your tables one by one

I am not attempting to rewrite import or debug the table conversion by the vanilla import method. I know that the vanilla staff do that for fees.

But that said,this is an idea how you can manually install to go through your tables one by one

I would leave the Permissions table and Role Table as is and not import and use the tables that already should exist in vanilla from a new install.

this is want you posted

from this you pulled out column names that should exist in your database User Table

then go through the other tables.

I am not sure why your discussion table doesn't have a body.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

@fraxture said:
    hgtonight, I've got a pay account there, but that database structure page in the codex "needs writing." So there's no data on it. Not sure how to proceed here. It's hard to see how deep this problem runs. And not being familiar with this importer code or Vanilla Forums as a framework, this could be time consuming. I tried to write a simple line of code to skip the header, and then fixed another bug in the code that seemed to crop up. Then I got as far as the Authenticating User step, and then it got stuck, saying it didnt' recognize the user or password...

I tried to maually change the password by adding a new md5 hashed string to the password part. Didnt' work. That's an md5 hash it's expecting yeah?

you may be better able to fix code then because you can test on live data.

I assume you have a sample installation of a vanilla database, before you imported.
    you can see the structure

hope some of the above provided insights. Perhaps you could pay one of the vanilla crew.
    There is also a service that someone posted that does conversions also.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

@hgtonight said:
    I think @peregrine was looking for a dump of the original SimplePress db with 1 record in each.

he gave me what I thought I needed.

I am sure someone could give a better way to do things or provide a working export and import with his data. but this is a last ditch effort kind of thing for someone who lots of time and no money and wants to do it themselves.

• Options

thanks @peregrine that's a good idea to try and do it manually. a couple people now have mentioned hiring someone to build an importer for simple press 5.*. where would one approach people for this?

• Options

Post a thread asking for help in porting your simple press forum to vanilla format. Be sure to post the budget and requirements.

I am interested pending scope and budget.

Search first

• Options

I'm getting a new error that I can't seem to shake. See here:

Any ideas?
    Did I mention how grateful I am for all the help! :)

• Options

The above error only seems to occur when I select the "Advanced" option to generate SQL.

• Options

The porter imports the data into temporary tables that are prefixed with a lower case z.

Looks like the temporary tables aren't being created properly.

Search first

• Options

That's what I suspected. I've been racking my brains trying to understand why that might be. That _zUser table is created fine when I don't selected the advanced option. The Importer in facts appears to finish successfully, but the only data the only _z table created is _zUser. There's no, say, _zDiscussion... I'm not sure if there is supposed to be other such tables, but I'm suspicious because the only data that the importer pulls in is the User data. All the other discussion data, and so on, is not imported.

• Options

is there a correct way to turn on php error logging in vanilla?