Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Why don't the checkboxes work?

I've been dealing with this frustration for awhile, but I'm not a web developer. I'm trying to do this on my own to save a little money. So here is my question, and I really hope someone can explain it to me:

When trying to delete applicants, I use the checkboxes to select all (like I would in an email account), and then I hit decline all. This used to work for me, but now it doesn't. I have put anti-spam into place so getting new spam applicants isn't the worry. But I do have over 5,000 applicants from before the anti-spam.

I have searched all over these forums and found a few answers, but none help. Before you suggest it, I have edited the applicants.php like I was shown, I've tried using cleanser, but I don't know how to get into the database and directly delete applicants like it suggests. And the batch-edit app works great, but it only lets you edit current users, not applicants.

So I am in a bind and I just can't figure this out. Is there anyone who can explain to me why this is happening in non-technical speak and possibly suggest a fix? I am using Vanilla Forum Version 2.0.18.8

Thanks

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited November 2013

Welcome to the community!

If you don't get a pop up when clicking the decline button, you need to debug your JS.

Assuming you are running FireFox:

1. Navigate to your applicants page
    2. Open your developer tools console tab (Ctrl + Shift + K)
    3. Report any errors you see

If you don't see any errors in the console:

1. Click on the action column heading
    2. Open your developer tools network tab (Ctrl + Shift + Q)
    3. Click on the decline button
    4. Post the details of any request made

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Alright, I did that. I'm not seeing any JS errors on the applicants page, just a lot of CSS warnings.

So when I take a look at the network tab, I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. What I'm seeing is a green light under the checkmark, Method: Post, File: applicants, domain: www.edarathegame.com, type: html, Size: 2873.16 KB, then the bar for ms is sitting at 10378 ms. The website then seems to refresh but all the applicants are there. I didn't get any kind of pop up after hitting decline.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

you may be timing out. You could try the cleanser plugin.

I've tried using cleanser, but I don't know how to get into the database and directly delete applicants like it suggests.

You don't need to get into any database. All you need to do is download text type file, edit it locally if need be, re-upload it, and purge the records.

you can use filezilla or some such program and retrieve the text file with the list in it, edit on your local computer and re-upload it.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@CaelestisDesigns said:
    So when I take a look at the network tab, I'm not really sure what I'm looking at.

You need to click on the request that happens when you click decline. Then click on the Response tab. Copy all the data there and paste it here between three tildes ~~~.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @peregrine said:
    you may be timing out. You could try the cleanser plugin.

you can use filezilla or some such program and retrieve the text file with the list in it, edit on your local computer and re-upload it.

Thanks, I think I have it figured out then. Is there any way to purge more than 100 at a time? I have 5,200 unwanted applicants that are all bots (i've already approved all human entries), so that means running this program 52 more times. I guess I'll have to.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

@CaelestisDesigns said:

@peregrine said: you may be timing out. You could try the cleanser plugin.

Thanks, I think I have it figured out then. Is there any way to purge more than 100 at a >time? I have 5,200 unwanted applicants that are all bots (i've already approved all >human entries), so that means running this program 52 more times. I guess I'll have to.

see this comment

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/25367/to-purge-a-larger-number-of-records-increase-the-max-records-from-100-to-a-larger-number

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.