Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Can someone explain the "Activity" Feature?

I've been looking at this feature and cannot for the life of me figure out what it is for...

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

It is mostly piffle bit like facebook activity.

It is worth purging it often.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

In the hosted version it makes quite nice, in the OS version quite useless irritating your users. If more plugins would make use of the activity wall it would make more sense to communities. :)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

The activity wall is a bit like a "news feed" for forum activity. All public things that "happen" on your forum is shown here. Wall postings, status updates, promotions, badges earned, etc. Very few plugins actually post to the activity wall in the open source version.

This will hopefully change in the near future. :D

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited December 2013

I still think is it is mindless piffle

• 12:27 AM x00 sat on the loo
    • 12:30 AM x00 flushed

:p

grep is your friend.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited December 2013

I don't have a problem with the concept of activity except when it post something trivial and not remarkable, which is most of the time.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

@x00 said:
    I don't have a problem with the concept of activity except when it post something trivial and not remarkable, which is most of the time.

seconded.

many forum owners - just prevent viewing activity wall anyway. too much graffiti. and not worth the trouble for plugins, or for maintenance.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@x00 said:
    I still think is it is mindless piffle

• 12:27 AM x00 sat on the loo
    • 12:30 AM x00 flushed

:p

(3 min) LMAO!! TMI!!! TMI!!! :s

I think there should be someway to avoid those kind of posts. However, not looking in the Activity page is just as good!

Some activity is redundant. "You Joined !" woopy I know !!

In my opinion the best thing would be a way to change the settings on what is broadcast and what not. Such as you changed your pic, since that is obvious why broadcast it.

Facebook activity feed is just one giant never ending wall of mostly spam and memes. I only get attracted by very cool pictures worth looking at twice. Even my own friends post mostly crap. :(

It makes it hard to care when they post something meaningful like the death of a loved one, right next to a post about rubber chickens.....

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited December 2013

It is basically the quality and significance of the info. I think on posting you would know the degree to which the data is unremarkable, so it could be graded.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited December 2013

So, what Plugins would make sense to enhance to make the "Activity"-page more attractive?

• FileUpload
    • PeregrineBadges
    • PeregrineReactions
    • VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

@phreak said:

So, what Plugins would make sense to enhance to make the "Activity"-page more attractive?

FileUpload
    PeregrineBadges
    PeregrineReactions ...

FileUpload - I guess that is in the eye of the beholder, seems like piffle (as they say).

PeregrineBadges - I would suggest you use Businessdads Plugins and see if that helps, maybe he has activity page.

PeregrineReactions - I don't think this is very popular plugin based on the donations I received for it , i had a good lunch for over a month's full time work.

Sounds like alot of work, alot of resources wasted, and an activity table that looms even larger by people who think the activity table is too large already.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

to make the Activity page more attractive.....

Yes , A grading system makes sense. You can have checkboxes with categories people could check based on the urgency of the broadcast to mark their own posts:

Not Important

Moderately Important

Urgent

Then the messages would be sent to the bottom of the list if they were mundane Not Important gibberish. The Urgent ones would remain on top until viewed.
    Users could select if they even wanted to see Not Important on the Activity or in what order they wanted to see it.

I suppose a Filtering sorting Preferences plugin would be nice for the AP :)

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@phreak said:

Late to the party and all that, but Yaga inserts activity for Badge Awards and Rank Promotions.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.