Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Plugin Suggestions

I wonder what people's suggestions are for plugins that do the following -- and others that might just be very high quality:

-- A kind of graphic showing the current users's avatar, username, and perhaps other useful links in the "panel" area...

-- A badges system that rewards people based on contributions...somewhat like the stackexchange system

-- Good editor plugins, perhaps one that uses markdown?

-- others??

Tagged:

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited December 2013

@fraxture

I think for 'badges' you might get a variety of suggestions on the lines of 'search the forum'.

Seriously, there is already a Badges plugin in Addons.

And you might want to look at the ButtonBar editor...

• And you might want to search first. Badges has been talked about many many times.

Avatars, Memberslist, Buttonbar Editor and MarkDown. Search and Yee shall find

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Here's a list I've been thinking about:

• Update discussion view when preview is hit/Alert for new Comments on Saving Drafts
    • Show online or offline status by overwriting UserPhoto (already existing)
    • Jump to TOp (already existing)
    • Similar Threads
    • Google translate (googles wants to be paid for that, so it wouldn't be useful for many)
    • Default avatar per gender
    • Username + (m)(w) (done!)
    • List of profile visitors
    • Profile visitor count
    • Username History (done!)
  • hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    • A kind of graphic showing the current users's avatar, username, and perhaps other useful links in the "panel" area

Something like a custom meta box? When I wanted something like this in 2.0.x I just put it in the theme. In 2.1+ the me module does just this. IIRC, you can add it to 2.0 with not too much effort.

• A badges system that rewards people based on contributions...somewhat like the stackexchange system

Peregrine's badges plugin and Businessdad's awards come to mind.

• Good editor plugins, perhaps one that uses markdown?

I really like button bar. Are you looking for something a little more advanced?

Are you asking for ideas for plugins to make? I have a bunch of them half started in my github repo:

1. Translation plugin that translates body text in place
    2. Plugin that turns the category tree into a navbar
    3. Steam™ Sign In allowing users to connect to your forum via the Steam platform
    4. Feature Guide (working name) that helps on board users that aren't familiar with modern forums or any forums for that matter

Plenty of ideas. Not enough time.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight, the me module? i'm having trouble finding that. it's a plugin?

The me module is included with vanilla 2.1b2 download. Porting it to 2.0.x would involve copying the module class and view file, adding it to your theme or controller and routing out any conflicts/bugs.

The view is at '/applications/dashboard/views/modules/me.php' and the module class is at '/applications/dashboard/modules/class.memodule.php'

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• fraxturefraxture
    edited December 2013

or i could update to 2.1b2 or is that unstable?

in any case, the new version code you referenced is in github somwhere?

• @fraxture said:
    or i could update to 2.1b2 or is that unstable?

That version is in beta, so only use if you want to test the version and willing to create bug reports.

Read the announcement at the top of the discussions list

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Okay well, i've added those files from 2.1b2 to the appropriate directories in my install. Not seeing anything showing up, but i'm not sure what it's supposed to look like. What does it mean to add this to the them or controller? It looks as if this me module is in the dashboard application, but shouldn't it be in the vanilla application, as it's meant to show up in the forum display? A bit confused here, but I'm still new to the MVC model of Vanilla...

• What I would like to achieve is something that looks like this in the panel area:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

• Is there a controller for the panel, where I would need to add a reference to the me view?

Add {module name="MeModule"} in your default.master.tpl file in your custom theme where you want it to appear. You probably want to put it right before {asset name='Panel'}.

Search first

• fraxturefraxture
    edited December 2013

Hmm, getting a lot of conflicts it seems. Seem to be missing/renamed functions in a number of classes. These so far:

The "LogModel" object does not have a "xGetOperationCount" method.|LogModel|xGetOperationCount|

The "RoleModel" object does not have a "xGetApplicantCount" method.|RoleModel|xGetApplicantCount|

Also missing functions:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function Sprite() in /home/****/Sites/****-forum/applications/dashboard/views/modules/me.php on line 34

@hgtonight, seems the supporting classes for this module have all significantly changed? is this really realistic to plug this in here. i have no clue with no experience of these other classes, which functions etc should replace these lines causing errors...

To be honest, it has been a while since I did it. I am sure it wasn't that difficult if I could figure it out.

Keep in mind that you can put any extend these models via a plugin, so no core modification is required. I am going to look into this for you later tonight if I find some time :D

Search first

• fraxturefraxture
    edited December 2013

@hgtonight, I think you are right. Better to go the plugin route. I'm now trying to write a little plugin that achieves a minimalist version of that panel, just with the image and the username and signin links if the user is not known. It'd be nice to get the whole complex functionality of the me panel, but maybe I'll add that later.

If you are going to go the plugin route, I highly suggest you look at plugins that implement modules. I am obviously more familiar with my own, so I suggest checking out Latest Post List's source code.

Search first