Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Carousel Plugin?

I am looking into making a carousel plugin for my site (I assume plugin would be easier over doing it with a theme?)
Just something simple which will contain some news information scrolling around only on the main page and would like all it to all be configured form the dashboard (where I can enter, title, description, image, link and manage/add/remove ones from there too).

I have been trying to work with other plugins code to see how they have done stuff but I am too inept with OOP, PHP and Garden to really grasp what's going on.

If someone could give me help in how to do it in Vanilla (I can do a JS/CSS3 carousel fine) or even have a crack at it yourself it would be much appreciated.

e.g. leagueoflegends.com (I am sure there are a billion other sites that use one too)

Comments

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I do not use it, but you may want to look at the pockets plugin: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/pockets-plugin

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited December 2013

Welcome to the community!

What version number of Vanilla are you running?

There are a few ways to go about this.

1. Use the pockets plugin to add some pre-rendered html, as RJ said.
    2. Hook into the home page controller and render some pre-rendered html.
    3. Hook into the home page controller and render some dynamic html.

My preferred method would be to make a module that renders the last x carousel entries. Then add that module to the home page controller.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

this might also give you some ideas

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/marquee-plugin

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@R_J said:
    I do not use it, but you may want to look at the pockets plugin

Ah I forgot about that plugin, I will try with it first.

@hgtonight
    Welcome to the community!
    What version number of Vanilla are you running?

I've been here for about a year and a half xD just went away for a year or so and don't remember anything.
    As for version, it's whatever the latest full release is. 2.0.18.9? or something like that