Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[2.1b2] Bizarre loading issue

Comments

• Options
    ZhaanZhaan Professional fool ✭✭

Wait, so that could be the cause of my issue? o-o

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited January 2014

No

http://www.php.net/memcache

http://www.php.net/manual/en/book.apc.php

If you have these enabled, you can simply disable them and the resources will be re indexed on the next page load.

• Options

@Zhaan said:
    Wait, so that could be the cause of my issue? o-o

what you saw is an Info message - not an error or a warning

Info Need to re-index theme cache

Info Need to re-index plugin cache

just a side tangent that has nothing to do with the issue you originally had.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    edited January 2014

Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Well, in that case I have no idea what the cause could be. I tried @Peregrine's wonderful plugin, but unfortunately that didn't solve the issue.

All I know for sure is that only my oldest and most active personal accounts are affected. It's not a role-related issue either, as my co-admin isn't having any problems. I also made a test Admin account earlier for confirmation.

Not sure what do to next, but I greatly appreciate the help I've received so far.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

We've lost site of your issue. Are you trying to zero out counter , remove messages from wall, or still have a problem with performance. The plugin would remove activity from the activity table older than a certain period.

we seem to be circling.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Agreed, I've gone a bit off-topic here. This is about the loading issue affecting my own account.

• Options

I will say that the site is blistering fast when I'm logged out, so you could be right. I will disable everything and get back to you. Thanks!

And.....

• Options
    edited January 2014

Sorry, I forgot about that post!

I disabled all of my plugins to no avail, but I don't see how the problem could be css or js related considering no other accounts are affected.

• Options

If you use a proxy server, try turning it off in your Windows network settings.
    Close other programs that you have opened on your computer. They may be using up a lot of memory on your computer, causing your browsers to behave slowly.
    Restart your computer.

Social plugins like SSO share etc may be a factor. Since it pulls all your stuff and friends etc when you log in with Facebook automatically . I found this , however if this only happens to you it is likely related to your computer.

Leonard Challis, Web and iOS developer, social media dabbler, obsessive compulsive learner

Vote by John Paddon.
    We had a similar problem with social sharing buttons, Google +1, Twitter and Facebook all being about as bad as each other. When the elements are in the page they will load as everything else. Whether you're using page speed or just looking at the load times in webmaster tools (which gets stats from Chrome browser and Google Toolbar), the results would show a drop in speed, thanks to the added time for Ajax calls cross-server (which can be affected by all manner of things, based on your and the receiving server's connection).
    In the end I fixed this by using a timeout with setTimeout, on the onLoad event. Note that I didn't use the jQuery document ready event - this is for when the DOM is ready, but you want this timeout to start after all elements (images, etc) have fully loaded, to make sure the browser thinks everything has completed first. My timeout was a couple of seconds, upon which I made an Ajax call to load in the content.
    There is an alternative that works in some instances, of using the hover method on the container of the content you are loading to load it. The static content would be a placeholder image or alternative content, which would be replaced by the Ajax content when the user hovers over that area. You can optionally set it to a parent element, but the higher up in the DOM you go the more chance your user will hover over this immediately after or during page load, meaning this could potentially be seen as part of the original loading time. Also for pages using this technique, dynamic content (I.e. logged in information or number of likes, tweets, etc) wouldn't show up until they hover, so can look a bit inferior.
    If you'd like to see the timeout technique in practice check out one of the pages we use it: http://www.safelincs.co.uk/ on the right hand bar.

• Options

I don't use a proxy server and we have no share plugins on the website. But even if we did, why would only I be affected by it?

Furthermore, I've tested this on other devices (tablet, phone & laptop) and the loading problem is still present when I'm logged into my account. I've even tried using other internet connections just to see if it was my provider causing issues.

• Options

Why would only I be affected by it?

because you could have more of "Something" than everyone else who is paying attention to speed. So, it could be plugin related - you ruled that out by disabling.

change to a default theme. - see what happens - maybe themehooks is adding something.

did you purge to two months?

are your notiifcation counters set to 0 for inbox and notifications.

what page are you going to when you load.

• Options
    edited January 2014

I would not gauge the speed by tablet or phone they are expected to not be as fast as a desktop. But it is hard to figure out specially since you claim it only happens to you and only on one specific account ...

This is a Crystall Baller for sure, anyone who guesses this I will buy lunch :)

http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/

Check the Network traffic through Chrome, find out if it is accessing an IP address that is not available. What is it accessing ?

• Options

I've ruled out themes already. There's was no performance difference in my other themes.

I followed your advice in the plugin thread as well, but it unfortunately didn't help. You're probably right about the "something" though, seeing as my account is the oldest and most active member of my forum.

are your notiifcation counters set to 0 for inbox and notifications.

Yep.

what page are you going to when you load.

Any page, really. They're all loading slower than a Chevrolet CMV.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

wild guess mode ---

what about drafts and bookmarks? do you have lots? can you reduce if lots of them.

use phpmyadmin and see how many items you have for your userid in the activity table.

you could also look at user table and ask people who have more discussions, comments, and book marks if they are experiencing problems.

So immediately after you log out every page loads much faster by 20 or 30 seconds and then you log back in and it page loads are 20-30 seconds slower. consistently.????

• Options
    edited January 2014

Wild guesses are more than welcome at this point. :D

use phpmyadmin and see how many items you have for your userid in the activity table.

Will do!

what about drafts and bookmarks? do you have lots? can you reduce if lots of them.

I currently only have 3 drafts, but about 2 pages worth of bookmarks. Gonna reduce them now.

you could also look at user table and ask people who have more discussions, comments, and book marks if they are experiencing problems.

I've already asked my top posters and they have no load issues. Haven't asked them about bookmarks though, will do that as well.

So immediately after you log out every page loads much faster by 20 or 30 seconds and then you log back in and it page loads are 20-30 seconds slower. consistently.????

Yep. Logging out (or logging into a different account) is like entering lightspeed.

• Options
    edited January 2014

Turns out I have more bookmarks than I thought, 120+. This could take a while..

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

you are absolutely certain disabling all plugins, then logging out and logging back in, had not effect

then I would consider downloading core code again. - if there is something - somehow (unknown to you) that was changed to target your id in the code that could cause a slow down.

• Options

Bookmarks cleared, but no change in performance. I guess that's ruled out.

then I would consider downloading core code again. - if there is something - somehow (unknown to you) that was changed to target your id in the code that could cause a slow down.

I suppose this is the only thing left to do, but that'll have to wait until tomorrow. I'm too tired for this stuff atm. :P

Thanks a lot for the help. I'll report back here as soon as possible. :)

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

another wild guess i haven't look at it.

but you could try cleaning the log table as well. it keeps track of edits, and can get bloated if you don't clear it.

cleanlog plugin.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/cleanlog-plugin

if the core update doesn't resolve and if BusinessDad's activity blackhole doesn't solve your issue.

you could also create a second admin account. and old admin login a member role, or a custom role and keep reducing the permissions - to possibly narrow things down.

• Options

Fixed it! \o/

I ignored my need for sleep and installed the latest version from GitHub, and voilà, problem solved. While we still don't know exactly what the problem was, you were right about it being somewhere in Vanilla core.

Thanks for all the help guys, especially you @Peregrine. :)