HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

New Coding Standards?

R_JR_J Ex-FanboyMunich Admin

@Kasper said:

• Migration to new coding standards
    4-space indentation, camelCase for methods and properties, underscore_case for functions and variables (camelCase for existing functions), lowercase true, false and null, and some more. As new code in Garden is being written using similar coding standards, I'm moving my own projects to these standards as well.

This was taken from that discussion because I didn't want to go offtopic there.

Wouldn't that affect also existing plugins? Class names and method names are not case sensitive, so that wouldn't be the problem, but what about common array or variable names? Starting from $PluginArray with all its values to FormPostValues or even DiscussionID, CommentID and the like? Will the db column names also change? So that DiscussionID will always be discussion_id?

To put in a short question: will the switch to new coding standards make nearly all existing plugins incompatible with Vanilla 2.2?

Comments

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff
    edited January 2014

Existing code won't be touched for a good, long while – nothing will break. So far, we've merely added a couple of new functions that I've personally used in a few projects: https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/blob/master/library/core/functions.compatibility.php

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• these 'stardards' are more styles. Consistency is more important.

I thought Kasper was talking about JSON at the time, in which case is a standard.

true is correct TRUE is not correct.

in php it is case insensitive.

http://uk3.php.net/language.types.boolean

grep is your friend.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Okay, thanks for the answer: new code is the key! I was kind of surprised why someone would want to rewrite an existing software just for the sake of maybe/maybe not "better" coding standards. My fault ;)

• I think the problem can be mixed styles.

The current style is CamelCase

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CamelCase

the style often called CamelCase is camelBack.

grep is your friend.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@x00: at first I was shocked when I thought about all those functions that will not work in future times, but then I've googled and found out that classes and functions in PHP are not case sensitive, but variables are.
    Immediately I had to think of you posting the Cargo Cult Coding link and I felt somewhat guilty. (Nevertheless I still believe in my plane-gods!)

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2014

styles aren't cargo cult, cargo cult would be ritually including something that doesn't need to be there without understanding of what it does, but believing it is necessary.

grep is your friend.

• @x00 said:
    styles aren't cargo cult, cargo cult would be ritually including something that doesn't need to be there without understanding of what it does, but believing it is necessary.

thats what i think about cell phones. :)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.