Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

delete converstations, how?

I have searched this forum for "conversations delete" and only find many messages dated 2010-2011 that do not seem to address my problem. Although I have all permissions enabled in my admin account (including allow Conversation, Moderation), I can not figure out how to delete old conversations from other users. Is there a plugin that I am missing? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

If you aren't part of a conversation, then properly, you shouldn't be able to do anything with it, as it isn't 'yours' to act on, but private messages between users, so it is not really a surprise that it isn't a feature.

I don't think such a plugin exists, though a dev might be prepared to make one for the right inducement...

An alternative would be to delete them directly from the DB, using phpMyAdmin or something similar, editing the GDN_Conversation and GDN_ConversationMessages tables, using date or user criteria.

Before you try that (if you do) make sure you have a backup of your DB that can be easily restored!

• as it isn't 'yours' to act on, but private messages between users

This is really down to he privacy policy, but legally it isn't necessarily theirs. But it is kind of not the done thing.

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

The ability to view other's conversations is built in via a permissions check 'Conversations.Moderation.Manage' and a config option 'Conversations.Moderation.Allow'.

If it is configured to allow moderation and the user has the proper permission, you can view a user's inbox via a link on their profile sidemenu called 'Inbox'.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight said:
    If it is configured to allow moderation and the user has the proper permission, you can view a user's inbox via a link on their profile sidemenu called 'Inbox'.

Thank you for that. As Admin, I have Conversations, Manage checked ON. But I don't understand where to navigate to find a particular user's inbox to view the content. I see "Inbox" at that top of my logged in session as Admin, but it only displays my own inbox.

Go to their profile.

If it is set up right, you should see a link in the side bar called inbox.

Click it.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight said:
    Go to their profile.
    If it is set up right, you should see a link in the side bar called inbox.
    Click it.

I'll attach what I see. As admin.. I select the user, in this case a user named "tester" and all I see is the attached. I see no options to manage an that user's inbox. What am I missing?

• Here is the screen capture, attached.

It should appear right below the Send tester a message link in that screenshot.

Have you added $Configuration['Conversations']['Moderation']['Allow'] = TRUE; to your conf/config.php file?

Search first

• THANK you. That did the trick. BTW.. I am currently using '2.0.18.9'. Will this setting get lost if I install the 2.0.18.10 update?

@oggy said:
    THANK you. That did the trick. BTW.. I am currently using '2.0.18.9'. Will this setting get lost if I install the 2.0.18.10 update?

If you follow the official upgrade instructions, no configurations should get changed. No extra plugins will be removed. No data should be lost.

http://vanillaforums.org/docs/installation-upgrade

Search first

• It is now working following the mod above for config.php. I still have to wrap my head around the difference between conversations and discussions. Argggh!