Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Do you use the VanillaForum User Profile or WP?

I am starting a site from scratch that will integrate VanillaForums (VF) with WP. I understand SingleSign on. My question is, once integrated, do users update and edit their user profile using the VF profile update, the WP account update functionality, or either / both? If so, do you automatically update the one with the new info from the other? Does it matter?

For me, it seems to make the most sense to just have users utilize the VF user profile pages to manage and update their information. VF is built to manage a community of users and most WP sites, unless MU, are typically only having a few bloggers with profiles.

The developer I am using wants to do it the other way - build a custom User Profile / change PW functionality outside of VF...

Best Answers

Answers

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited February 2014

I believe the update functionality if any is limited. especially if you have profile extender plugin or other plugins that add's other profile fields. And you have to determine the value to you of adding or displaying these additional fields in wordpress.

you might be interested in the

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/24731/articles-blog-app-proposal-looking-for-sponsors

which would make it all a moot point.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thanks - I need wordpress for a number of reasons.

So the question remains, where do I direct users to manage and update their profile - VF profile editor or WP? Is it easier for VF to recognize a VF user or vice versa?

• Ok - this is helpful and reinforces my initial thoughts. Anyone else want to chime in?

• WP is not made to handle users.

This is just not true and there are plenty of membership addons.

@joefrombostonjoefromboston I use both, hasn't really been an issue. it depend to the degree one or other has been in the forefront. Not bothered with syncing thus far.

When you use SSO/jsConnect, stuff like change the password, that would be generally done through worspress, but ti does depend heavily on how you are doing the authentication and logon.

There isn't a set answer for this. it depend on how you are using both together. If you users are all on Vanilla then the answer is obvious, if you users span the site under SSO then you have to work out what is best for you.

grep is your friend.