Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Is it possible to give permissions for Catagories only?

I am thinking about allowing users to apply for a Category and give them their own control of their own specific individual category. So for example: a club has a catagory "People that live in Brazil" "People that live in Hong Kong" can apply for a category and I can assign a moderator that can only moderate that category and control their club forum. Is this possible? I don't want them to have full editing of other categories.

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

You are looking for something like the Groups feature available on the hosted version.

There is no way to do this out of the box in Vanilla, AFAIK.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Ok darn!

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited March 2014

@jens1seo

I think this might be possible, in a roundabout way.

You can create categories which have special permissions.

You can also create custom roles, so

Create category Banana and assign it custom permissions

Create the role BananaMod and give this role the permissions you want in that category.

Check that BananaMod only has member permissions otherwise.

Remove permissions from other users if you need to.

Wouldn't that do what you want?

• jens1seojens1seo
    edited March 2014

It would work if #1 the banana mod is the only admin for banana cat and #2 If everyone else can still post to that category. As long as all users can comment, that would work fine.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@jens1seo‌

Once you give a category custom permissions, you can then assign or disallow whichever permissions you want on 'role' basis.

So you would go into, for example, moderator role permissions, and disallow 'modding' permissions for all but Banana mod role, and enable comet permissions for members (that might already be the default permission.)

• ok, let me try this out, it may do the trick.