Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Give users points for posting

Is it possible to give users points for posting en starting topics?

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited March 2014

Thanks for trying out my addon!

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: This will lead to a glut of "bad" content. Tying points directly to post creation encourages posting for the sake of posting. What you want is a way to encourage "good" content. Using a combination of badges, ranks, and reactions judiciously encourages people to focus on the quality rather than the quantity of their submissions.

Ideally, you award a badge the first time a user does something you like. For example, adding a photo, submitting a new discussion, replying to new user's, etc. For long term things that make a forum healthy, you add in escalated goals. E.g. 25 comments, 50 comments, 100 comments, 250 comments, etc.

You pair this with Ranks which are long term goals that reward good behavior (since more points = good behavior). These give out new roles to people.

The bulk of a user's points should come from other users. This is in the form of Reactions. Your users will communicate what they think of the content and award points to the user that submitted the content. This right here is the crux of gamification. It rewards user's that submit quality content as determined by your community!

With all this in mind, you should not give out points for every new discussion. If you still want to do this, reply as such and I will look into it.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Ok, thanks for you feed back, but im running a small private community and i want users to post, even if its bad (what will not be the case.

So please tell me how i can turn it on.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Alright, you will need to modify the file /applications/yaga/settings/class.hooks.php. Replace the current DiscussionModel_AfterSaveDiscussion_Handler() method with the following:

public function DiscussionModel_AfterSaveDiscussion_Handler($Sender) {
      if($Sender->EventArguments['Insert']) {
        $Session = Gdn::Session();
        UserModel::GivePoints($Session->UserID, 1, 'Discussion');
      }
      $this->_AwardBadges($Sender, __FUNCTION__);
    }

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.