Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

Fatal Error when Managing Spam

edited March 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

All,

I help administer (sort of) a friend's forum, and I am coming up on the problem in the attached file. At a certain point when clearing Spam, I appear to be overrunning an array or something.

For relevance, here are the specs on the forum:

  • • Application: Vanilla
  • • Application Version: 2.0.18.10
  • • PHP Version: 5.3.27
  • • Operating System: Linux
  • • Server Software: LiteSpeed
  • • Referer: http://runblogger.com/forum/dashboard/settings
  • • User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0
  • • Request Uri: /forum/dashboard/log/spam
  • • Controller: PHP
  • • Method: unserialize

Comments

  • hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

    Welcome to the community!

    'a:15:{s:4:"Body";s:2651:"Bien que le titre comporte le mot divinatoire, ce sont avant tout de tr' is not a properly serialized object. Not sure how that got put in there, but you will probably have to remove the record manually.

    Deleting the record from your db log table (Gdn_Log) with LogID = 4130 should clear up this specific issue.

    Search first

    Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

    Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

    peregrine
  • @hgtonight said:
    Welcome to the community!

    'a:15:{s:4:"Body";s:2651:"Bien que le titre comporte le mot divinatoire, ce sont avant tout de tr' is not a properly serialized object. Not sure how that got put in there, but you will probably have to remove the record manually.

    Deleting the record from your db log table (Gdn_Log) with LogID = 4130 should clear up this specific issue.

    Thank you for the welcome! Vanilla is pretty new to me, so I have a feeling I'll be stopping by quite a bit.

    I hate to be a complete n00b, but can you explain what you mean about not properly being serialized? Is it just that someone managed to pull the equivalent of this XKCD strip by putting in a value in either a post or a forum ID that causes database issues?

    How would I access that table?

  • Erm... Using phpmyadmin script (your hoster may give you access to one).

  • @Lopar said:
    Erm... Using phpmyadmin script (your hoster may give you access to one).

    I'm sorry to have asked such a obvious question. For some background, "administration" for me basically entails working with the forum dashboard. Anything beyond that I don't really deal with. If I had access to do more, I'm sure I could figure it out.

  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

    if you want to clean up the log table (it will remove all edits and deletes by users, passive config changes (which aren't used anyway) and approval comments and discussions if you use that feature).

    you can use the plugin http://vanillaforums.org/addon/cleanlog-plugin and it should clear up you issue.

    it will purge the log. it shouldn't cause you any problems if you don't use the edit/delete log in the dashboard to restore edited discussions.

    the log will resume adding entries after you purge it.

    if you don't use discussion and comment approval or you have approved everything you want, it doesn't matter if you clear the log either.

    it will clear out the spam messages as well - if you haven't approved them.

    I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

    hgtonightUnderDog
  • Oh, I see. Now, I don't think that you can work with the forum database from Vanilla dashboard. You need another standalone script to work directly with your database, so you can work with it's tables and records. The most popular one is phpmyadmin, that I mentioned.

    hgtonightUnderDog
  • @Lopar said:
    Oh, I see. Now, I don't think that you can work with the forum database from Vanilla dashboard. You need another standalone script to work directly with your database, so you can work with it's tables and records. The most popular one is phpmyadmin, that I mentioned.

    Thank you. I appreciate your patience and the suggestion!

  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

    @BryanEW710

    As an admin - do you have the capacity to add add-ons. You should be able to do this with filezilla or some sort of program to install and you already have access to dashboard.

    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/204344/#Comment_204344

    I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

  • edited March 2014

    @peregrine said:
    BryanEW710

    As an admin - do you have the capacity to add add-ons. You should be able to do this with filezilla or some sort of program to install and you already have access to dashboard.

    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/204344/#Comment_204344

    I don't, but I'm going to see if I can get it. I like doing my job as thoroughly as possible :-)

  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

    If you can get access to cpanel - phpmyadmin is usually provided. Although some host sites may only allow one authorized user to use the cpanel.

    if you have ssh access. you can manually change database entires via mysql on the host itself, as well as sftp files to your host.

    I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

  • We ended up downloading and running the Clean-Log plugin and all's well. Thank you all!

    peregrinehgtonight
  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

    @BryanEW710

    thanks for coming back and posting your solution. :)
    glad it worked for you. always nice to see someone have positive results with one of my plugins.

    I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Sign In or Register to comment.