Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to get my Vanilla Rss feed on another site?

hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
This discussion was created from comments split from: Strange New Comment Behaviour on this support forum.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

Comments

• meshugymeshugy Musician/Hacker ✭✭

ok, I didn't realize that.

If someone has a good working solution for embedding new discussion titles/links onto another site, let me know. I don't have a good way to display RSS feeds on the site I want to display the new forum posts so I'm looking for another solution.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@meshugy I made a plugin that displays feeds on the panel FeedEk.

@vrijvlinder thanks, but I'm not looking to display feeds in Vanilla. I'd like to embed the topics of the latest 10 discussions on another site.

@‌meshugy

ok then try this, I fixed this plugin although there is still a bug to get the right category instead of the Root category that Vanilla has as default and is not visible to admin to change the name or is in the categories list. But other than that it works pretty well to start topics and fills the body with the content.

If you add $Item[image] in the line for the fetching content it will also get the images if any.

You can also change the poster/author ID and use the system user instead because you are using 2.1

@vrijvlinder thanks for the help, but unless I'm misunderstanding something, MagpieFeeds imports feeds into Vanilla and creates topics out of them. I want to export the latest 10 discussion titles to another site. I don't think MagpieFeeds will help me do this.

edited April 2014

Oh, I was thinking the opposite. Lol I was up all night working on this so I am a bit excited about it coz it is great in my opinion.

Your other site what is it ? another forum a blog wordpress what?

Here is a list of some jquery plugins that are for feeds, maybe you can find some use for your other site. You can get the feeds from Vanilla at:

http://forum.example.com/discussions.rss

Then add them to your other site via a plugin

http://www.jquery4u.com/plugins/jquery-rss-feed-readers/

Could @hgtonight or another person with the power to change the title of this to

How to get my Vanilla Rss feed on another site?

@vrijvlinder I'm trying to display the latest discussions on the splash page of my store: www.djangobooks.com

I used Web RSS to display the RSS feed from my Vanilla Forum. It works, but is not ideal as I don't like the layout and their logo is also required.

I'll see if I can get any of the rss feed readers you linked to to work.

edited April 2014

The one I found easy to use and style is the FeedEk from which I made the plugin for Vanilla.

All you need to do is add the classes for the elements from your style sheet to the plugin css and then add inherit in the code for the elements in the plugin css so it inherits the style from your page.

It is very simple to add these to any site. I am working on making a news Ticker plugin now... on a roll !!!

• @meshugy Hey! I am trying to do the same thing you are... I see it turned out nice on your site, but I cannot get the WebRSS to pull the feed. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?