Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Why do so many addons and themes require beta builds?

I'm new to the Vanilla community, but I decided to use Vanilla for a project I'm working on because it seemed to have one of the better SSO integrations for Wordpress. So far the experience has been pretty good and I'm impressed with the software and the community. One thing that has been frustrating for me though is that many of the theme and add-ons seem to have dependancies on the BETA builds of the software. For example, the Wysihtml5 and Quotes add-ons. The projects I work on are almost always designed to go into production, so I would normally avoid beta releases and try to stick with the latest STABLE builds. Guess my question is, do most people who run Vanilla Forums just use the latest BETAS?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@phylaxis in my opinion you are right. These project should be clearly marked for beta only.

Far too many people are using the beta, and even alphas, when they are not really fulfilling the role of tester.

I think it super dumb for people to switch to an unstable version for the sake of a theme or plugin, on a production site. It basically degrades the whole notion of beta.

Having said that 2.1 is currently a release candidate. So ti is close to being officially stable, and could be considered so. It has been tested for over a year.

grep is your friend.

• Options

@x00 thanks for the quick and helpful response

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

The short version is: the 2.1 release got away from us, and a lack of resources meant we couldn't keep targeting back to 2.0 as the hosted version marched forward. I am working on rectifying the schism over the course of 2014 to get everything back in sync.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@phylaxis Another reason, on top of what others pointed out, is that Vanilla 2.1 and later implement some features that can make a developer's life easier. Despite that, as a developer, I don't work with anything in Beta, as I also need stability for production systems. In fact, one of my main activities is backporting plugins and features when my customers/projects require them. :)