Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How to Warn Users?

Hello,

I have Vanilla Forums setup and whilst I am able to Ban users, I do not see a Warn option when I click the dropdown on a users profile. I looked it up and apparently it's a feature of Vanilla so any idea on how I can get it working? Admin has full permissions.

Thanks in advance.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

It is not a feature. Just PM them.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Is there a plugin for it? I've disabled the PM system.

• Options

I don't think so. You could use activity / wall post.

What sort of capability are you looking for?

grep is your friend.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

The Warn feature is available on the hosted platform. Not currently available in the OS version.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited May 2014

I would help fund an application that helps moderators and admins to deal with warning and internal flagging.

-
    What i'm looking for is the possibility to flag users with 3 stages. Let's say yellow, orange and red. It would allow moderators to work with human spammers or those who behave weird but are not yet a reason for deleting or banning them.

Some of the human spammers are pre-identified (by username or their e-mail) by me or my moderators when checking the activity wall and their profile. Very often the username or the e-mail help to recognize their further interest. Check yellow!

On the other hand user who behave not alongside the rules could be marked for further monitoring. With hundreds of users i tend to forget those very fast. Now, i and my moderators are noting their usernames in a discussion in a hidden category. Not the most overseeable way. AND time consuming. A list with "flagged users" and their stages, their e-mail, number of posts and date of registration, plus last online could help community managers here lot i think.

-
    The 2nd is that calling a standard warning that could be send to the users inbox and their e-mail would be helpfull. Instead of writing them individually and manually. :neutral_face:

Anyone interested or with better ideas?

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@phreak I have a warning type plugin and a few moderator plugins in the works for when my work slows down.

My moderator plugin basically adds a moderators note section as well as a rating that shows up next to the author info. You can click to add a point (or more) and sends them an automated message. Once they hit a certain amount, they start having reduced privileges. Then, as time passes, their points are removed and they regain their standard permissions. It is really rough right now (essentially a hack job) and I want to re-write it with an actual model in the near future.

Does that sound useful?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@hgtonight: That sounds great. With an additional list, where all users who were noted or "pointed" and their timeframe to regain normal privileges would be be a great enhancement to my forum. I'd really be happy if there would be a little "Moderator Suite" for Vanilla.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla