Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Unable to enable

edited May 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Using Vanilla 2.1, tried both the Addons download, and the Github versions, folder named "yaga", yet it doesn't show up in the Plugins listing so we can't enable it :neutral_face:

Anyone had this happen? Thoughts on a fix? Checked with both an "Admin" account, as well as the "Root" super-user admin... no luck.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

yet it doesn't show up in the Plugins listing so we can't enable it :neutral_face:

because it is an APPLICATION and will show up in applications sidemenu of Dashboard.

and it has to be installed in the applications folder as well NOT the plugins folder and must have readable folder permissions (at the very least).

perhaps a screenshot with it circled in red in the dashboard where it will showup. in the instructions or on the description page would make it easier for people, who are new to vanilla and don't know the distinction between plugin add-ons and application add-ons.

great documentation for code routines and such but not much user setup screenshot documentation, which is equally important.

friendly suggestion: perhaps a slew of screenshots as examples in the description of the add-on, would stem the tide of all the setup questions.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• feeling dumb

I guess this is the first "Application" I've tried to use, and didn't realize....

Thanks for clarifying!

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Thanks for trying my addon!

Sorry for the confusion; documentation has been back burnered until a 1.0 candidate is out and about.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

@RebellionMedia said:
    feeling dumb

I guess this is the first "Application" I've tried to use, and didn't realize....

Thanks for clarifying!

no, it's not dumb. uninformed, maybe, but what is there to inform you? (rhetorical question).

this documentation could be expanded upon. to clarify.

http://docs.vanillaforums.com/addons/

and this could be as well

http://docs.vanillaforums.com/developers/plugins/

there is nothing super explanatory in the documentation. and most documentation is backburnered (both vanilla and apps and plugins alike). And by the time the documentation is complete a new version of software is out, which makes the backburnered documentation out-of date. Its kind of a fact of software life unfortunately. trying to obtain coding perfection before supplying intermediate documentation steps (harder yes, doable yes, time-consuming - yes.). And I'm not digging at you hg, its the common in the software world around. and developers decide what is important to them. Some people don't document code either (I know one person, myself).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.