Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Custom profile banners/backgrounds?

ZhaanZhaan Professional fool ✭✭
edited May 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi again, VF sweethearts! Got a quick question for you, is there any way for users to upload a custom profile banner/background? You know, like Twitter and Facebook?

Any addons that could be configured to do this?

Thanks! I'm using 2.2.4 atm.

Answers

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

This sounds like a cool idea!

This could be done by modifying the Profile Extender addon.

It would probably be better to make your own plugin.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

@Zhaan

can you explain it better to give the gist for people who don't use twitter or facebook . A few screenshots of proposed look could help.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• ZhaanZhaan Professional fool ✭✭
    edited May 2014

@hgtonight‌ Interesting! I'll look into that.

@peregine Yeah, sorry about that. Basically something like this:

• Sorry for being so ignorant. so when you say custom? do you mean a different banner per each user?

or do you mean a an assortment of banners that users can select from?

A specific user has an option for uploading banner. somewhere (probably profile page). and it replaces the banner on all pages viewed by that specific user. on non-mobile user pages for that specific user. Or does it place a banner in the specific users profile so when other users view the user's profile they see the users banner.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• ZhaanZhaan Professional fool ✭✭

No worries!

Or does it place a banner in the specific users profile so when other users view the user's profile they see the users banner.

This is basically what I want, yeah. That's how Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Twitch, and most other social media sites handle it. It's a great way to let your users customize their profiles without giving them too much freedom.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

thanks for making this happen - @Zhaan

I added a few positioning features and screenshots

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/userbanner-plugin

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

that look bad on white....this is better

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

above info

edited June 2014

Awesome plugin p !!!!!!!!!!!!!

great pic of you house too ;) did not realize Uzbekistan/pergrinestan was so nice...