Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

added menu item not showing up

just installed add menu item plugin, latest version
added "website" in name and link http://gamersgomakers.com
but does not show up on menu here:
gamersgomakers.com/Vanilla/index.php?p=/

Comments

• if you haven't read all the comments relating to plugin. its always a good idea. they may have clues.

perhaps this is the issue

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/207404/#Comment_207404

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

BTW the default.master.tpl is in the views folder of your theme if you are using a tpl version type of theme

when asking a question, mentioning your version number of vanilla is also something you might consider. it does help.

part of the message as it appears when you post a new discussion is as follows.

Please include the version number of Vanilla you are using for troubleshooting help. addon-specific questions, go to its addon page and click the "Ask A Question" link.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• thanks!
    I did read that, but I need to have a menu item linking to a different URL (back to homepage http://gamersgomakers.com), not a link within Vanilla forum, cannot figure out how that works.

vanilla version: 2.1
    Add menu item version: 2.2

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Try the Index plugin, you can add many external links to it in the index.js file and it goes on the menu like the other links and displays them in a drop down .

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/index-plugin

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

@GGM said:
    thanks!

just installed add menu item plugin, latest version added "website" in name and link http://gamersgomakers.com but does not show up on menu here: gamersgomakers.com/Vanilla/index.php?p=/

I can't fathom what you are saying. first you say it doesn't show up on menu and now you say you "read that"

So that does that mean your first issue was solved the item not appearing in your menu, which it does now, correct?

I did read that, but I need to have a menu item linking to a different URL (back to homepage http://gamersgomakers.com), not a link within Vanilla forum, cannot figure out how that works.

vanilla version: 2.1
    Add menu item version: 2.2

I need to have a menu item linking to a different URL (back to homepage

it should work as well. I can do that with the plugin.

The plugin works perfectly fine with external links and internal links as well as subdermal, and extraterrestrial links s. the problem is most likely your .htaccess or routing.

either you are not explaining well, or I am not understanding you.
    and make you site home page in root.

are you embedding your forum?

The plugin works perfectly fine with extraterrestrial links

This is true, I linked to Hyperion and it worked ;)

• I can't fathom what you are saying. first you say it doesn't show up on menu and now you say you "read that" So that does that mean your first issue was solved the item not appearing in your menu, which it does now, correct?

I have only one issue: the menu item I entered in the "Add menu item" does not show up on main menu of my forum

I would be happy if I can link to terrestrial website, no need for interstellar link ;-)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

use the unmodified bittersweet theme and tell me if it works.

if it doesn't then the plugin wasn't meant for you. almost 2000 downloads, and you are the first with this problem.

so I will need you to

1) attached screen shots of the page where the menu doesn't show using bittersweet theme.

and

2) you will need to post your config.php (minus the private information like passwords.)

anything short of this, I will not be able to help.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

NOTE: in version 2.1 of vanilla - IF your links are not visible ...

you may need to add the {custom_menu} value in default.master.tpl, if it is a tpl based theme., if
    {custom_menu} is not already present. in the default master in the views folder.

{dashboard_link}
    {discussions_link}
    {custom_menu}
    {activity_link}
    {inbox_link}
    {profile_link}
    {signinout_link}

place the {custom_menu} in any position where you want add menu item links to appear.

e.g.

{dashboard_link}
    {discussions_link}
    {activity_link}
    {inbox_link}
    {profile_link}
    {custom_menu}
    {signinout_link}

or

{dashboard_link}
    {custom_menu}
    {discussions_link}
    {activity_link}
    {inbox_link}
    {profile_link}
    {signinout_link}

• @peregrine said:
    NOTE: in version 2.1 of vanilla - IF your links are not visible ...

you may need to add the {custom_menu} value in default.master.tpl, if it is a tpl based theme., if
    {custom_menu} is not already present. in the default master in the views folder.

{dashboard_link}
    {discussions_link}
    {custom_menu}
    {activity_link}
    {inbox_link}
    {profile_link}
    {signinout_link}

place the {custom_menu} in any position where you want add menu item links to appear.

e.g.

{dashboard_link}
    {discussions_link}
    {activity_link}
    {inbox_link}
    {profile_link}
    {custom_menu}
    {signinout_link}

or

{dashboard_link}
    {custom_menu}
    {discussions_link}
    {activity_link}
    {inbox_link}
    {profile_link}
    {signinout_link}

It doesn't seems to work with the Bootstrap theme even after I try that. Any fix to this ?

@Gogito said:
    It doesn't seems to work with the Bootstrap theme even after I try that. Any fix to this ?

Yes , use another theme :)

• @vrijvlinder said:
    Yes , use another theme :)

That's not really a fix dude. But seriously, why is this happening ?

The fix provided by peregrine works for people who use Bootstrap theme. If the fix provided does not work for you then use another theme.

This theme uses different class names for almost everything and some plugins will not work out of the box without some mods.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@Gogito said:

@vrijvlinder said: Yes , use another theme :)

That's not really a fix dude. But seriously, why is this happening ?

• it does work in the Bootstrap theme. (at least my testing, and others not including you) with the changes provided in the plugin description.

• perhaps you are not reading the tpl file you think you are reading.

• I would delete the bootstrap theme folder entirely and redownload the latest version, and before you make any custom changes except for adding custom_menu and see if it works. Do not leave lingering duplicate tpl or old copies of the tpl in your theme folder.

• we can't be responsible for your theme modifications, and or install caching, etc.

custom_menu is a standard. if a standard does not work. ask the theme maker.

does it work on your site for the default theme?

if . your answer is yes - its a theme problem.

I've decided not to answer anymore of these questions dealing with bootstrap and this plugin. Since it could easily be remedied if the standard custom_menu was in the theme in the first place out of the box.
    Obviously if people use plugin with add links to menu nav bar - they want them in the menu nav bar, and the theme should allow it.

once again post on bootsrap theme github - it is a bootstrap issue. plain and simple.

• can we close this thread @hgtonight @whu606‌

This discussion has been closed.