Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Hiding "Inbox" link in v2.1, Bitter Sweet theme

2»

Comments

• Options
    kaiasgramkaiasgram New
    edited July 2014

I tried all the other suggestions that y'all posted with no success. Then...

I started thinking outside the box and this is how I solved the problem (for future generations, lol!):

I created a new subdomain in my hosting account (free) and did a fresh install of Vanilla.
    From the new subdomain vanilla files I pulled out default.master.tpl, opened it in Sublime (thanks vrijvlinder), made the edits I wanted (commented out the Inbox and Activity links), and replaced the broken file in my original forum with the new one.

Problem solved!

You guys all rock, thank you so much for your help.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@kaiasgram said:
    Apparently my OS is too old (10.6.8) to retrieve the file from github and replace it on my forum. Hey, thanks anyway guys for trying to help.

No, I'd say, you are to new to computers ;)

By the way: it is a bad idea to modify any of the core files. Copy the bittersweet theme folder to "YourOwnThemeName" and work with that copy. Rename class.bittersweetthemehooks.php to class.yourownthemenamethemehooks.php and change the contents of about.php accordingly

• Options

I just use notepad for everything, works fine.

• Options

I'm like R_J I use no editor on core files. Its bad for your health.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited July 2014

When I did my dev primarily on OSX, I used Smultron (http://sourceforge.net/projects/smultron/) for my text editor.

Ain't no IDE, but it worked pretty well. Oh, and it is open source, which is always a plus in my book.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited July 2014

@Schryvers said:
    I just use notepad for everything, works fine.

He is on a Mac NotePad is windows app, TextEdit is the Mac version of NotePad.It does not work well with certain file types.And you don't see the line numbers and it is very limited.

• Options

@vrijvlinder said:
    He is on a Mac NotePad is windows app, TextEdit is the Mac version of NotePad.It does not work well with certain file types.And you don't see the line numbers and it is very limited.

Right on all counts -- 'cept for I'm a she. ;)

• Options
    edited July 2014

oops sorry I am a she too !!! people call me sir :\

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

(S)he meant to say (s)he. Should we make it mandatory >:) that it is always (s)he

or They ((he || she) && vanilla)).

Please excuse vrijvlinder her radar was malfunctioning. :)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@peregrine said:
    (S)he meant to say (s)he. Should we make it mandatory >:) that it is always (s)he

or They ((he || she) && vanilla)).

LOL {Insert animated laughing smilie here}

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

speaking of Gender - What gender is Vanilla Forums?

• Options
    edited July 2014

She, because all ships are given a female ....name

• Options
    AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited July 2014

Protip: ssh to your host and try using pico, or if not installed, vi. ;)