Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How to prevent Notifications of Private Messages from including the text of the message in the email

DoyceTDoyceT Model Questioner ✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello all,

I'm on 2.1 stable, default theme. I am using the BetterNotifications plugin, but I don't believe that impacts this question.

When the forums send out notifications of an update to a discussion, that's all that happens - there is a notification that the discussion has gotten a comment and a link to the discussion in question, so you can go look at it. This is ideal, for my purposes.

When the forums send out notifications that you've received a private message, you get the entire body of the message, included in the email notification (along with a link to go to the website). This is not ideal, because my easily confused octogenarian faculty are reading the message and then replying to the email, expecting the message to get back to the original sender (yes, even though the address the message came from starts with DO_NOT_REPLY@).

So: what do I need to change to format a notification of a new private message in a way functionally identical to the other notifications the forum sends out? I do not want the body of the email notification to contain any portion of the message - only notice that one was received, and a link to the message on the forum.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome back!

You are looking to change the 'EmailStoryNotification' definition to be the same as 'EmailNotification'.

Placing the following definition in your /conf/locale.php file should work:

$Definition['EmailStoryNotification'] = '%1$s

Follow the link below to check it out:
    %2$s

Have a great day!';

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

I was still at %2 by the time you posted.

you're too quick at the draw. hgtonight. If I was a gunslinger, you would have planted me.

quickdraw McHgtonight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THmuXOOxgzg

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    DoyceTDoyceT Model Questioner ✭✭✭

And that worked perfectly on the first go. Thank you!

Faculty-level users are setting themselves up, and the first semester on the Vanilla 2.1 forums begins in just a few weeks!

Thanks to all of you guys for helping me get everything set up 'just so' - I know it's going to make things easier in the months to come.