Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Are there any file size restrictions with FileUpload?

DoyceTDoyceT Model Questioner ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm on 2.1.1 stable, with FileUpload version 1.8.2.1.

It works great, but I've got a user who's trying to upload a (yes, ridiculously large) 10mb PDF. It seems the upload times out, and finally fails with the following message.

I thought the file might be bumping into a limit set in the plugin (though the error message makes me suspect it's a server-side issue), but I don't see anything in the plugin that looks like an easy "change this to tweak file size limits" setting.

Any hints welcome.

Tagged:

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

FileUpload has no such limit to my knowledge, but your PHP installation might. It's not uncommon to have a timeout, and if your file can't get uploaded in that timespan it gets cut off.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You set up the restriction in the config.php also the file type that is allowed. However the host has a limit usually about 10mega but every host has a different amount some up to 60. pdf are notoriously heavy files you might try zipping them.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2014

see what your settings are with phpinfo or use http://vanillaforums.org/addon/versioncheck-plugin

look for post_max_size and upload_max_filesize and see what they are set for in your php.

you could probasbly reset them in the plugin as well

ini_set('post_max_size', '64M');
    ini_set('upload_max_filesize', '64M');

and you could check config.

$Configuration['Garden']['Upload']['MaxFileSize'] = '60M';

the weakest link prevails so to speak.

that said. allowing huge uploads, depletes your disk space dramatically if you have lots o huge uploads.

also makes moving your vanilla forums harder at a later point in time, because your uploads folder will be huge.

Also makes your backup take longer, the more files and larger files in uploads folder.

things to keep in mind.

But at a point depending on internet connection speed by uploader, you may time out in the end if a file is too large.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/213503/#Comment_213503

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.