HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How is vanilla the most powerful forum solution in the world?

Matthew2DMatthew2D New
edited September 2014 in Feedback

"Vanilla is the best, most powerful community solution in the world." How? I would preferably like the devs to answer this.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

How?
    Vanilla is the best, most powerful community solution in the world

I'll answer the why part....

because they couldn't say

Vanilla is the best, most powerful community solution in the galaxy

because perhaps there is a forum created by extraterrestrials that could be better, but still unknown on this planet.

better to qualitative but accurate in a marketing slogan, that is subjective not objective.

but marketing psychology is whole 'nother universe.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited September 2014

Maybe you want our README? https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla

Or maybe you want to tour our commercial site? http://vanillaforums.com/features

My short developer answer: our custom framework / addon system.

• Matthew2DMatthew2D New
    edited September 2014

Well what I see is a forum solution that is lacking a ton of features if you compare vanilla to mybb, phpbb, xenforo, etc.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

and your point is... and decision is....

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited September 2014

@Matthew2D said:
    Well what I see is a forum solution that is lacking a ton of features if you compare vanilla to mybb, phpbb, xenforo, etc.

What I see is someone making statements so vague they defy refutation.

If you want to talk about features or development priorities, you could start by mentioning the specific things you're referring to.

• @Matthew2D it is called Vanilla for a reason, it doesn’t work like those forums. You won't get a bloated core, but is very pluggable and brandable.

grep is your friend.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@x00 said:
    Matthew2D it is called Vanilla for a reason, it doesn’t work like those forums. You won't get a bloated core, but is very pluggable and brandable.

+1. The idea that "more features = better product" is complete nonsense.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@Matthew2D said:

That's what you see, okay.

Well what I see is a strong framework that empowers me to build a ton of features that I couldn't find neither in Vanilla nor in MyBB, phpBB, XenForo, etc.

A well done Vanilla forum is like one supercar you can see at Pimp My Ride. Most if not all of MyBB, phpBB, XenForo installations are like a silver metallic Ford. Nothing bad with a Ford! It's a solid, safe and stable car, but nothing fancy, either.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited September 2014

@R_J I like that analogy.

We're not yet another car dealer. We peddle racing chassis & engines. Bring your own body kit.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited September 2014

Pimp my Vanilla :D

My analogy is it is Vanilla not Tutti-Frutti

grep is your friend.