Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Bootstrap Theme Customization

I realize this is not the forum to request assistance for the Bootstrap based theme for Vanilla. I don't really have a problem, more a general overall newb question. I've been reading up on the Bootstrap framework for a couple of days now trying to make sense of how the Bootstrap based theme for Vanilla works. I understand Bootstrap comes precompiled with several different customizations/sub themes. I'm really just attempting to modify one of the included themes. When I read the documentation I don't get a clear understanding of where to start in order to learn how to customize the less file variables. I assume those were imported at compile time? If anyone might be able to give me a hint on where I should start learning, I would appreciate it.

:D

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Well it is a bit complex more so than other straight custom themes. Here is more info that may be helpful , this link explains the generic basics of how a Bootstrap works.

http://getbootstrap.com/getting-started/

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I literally just set this up today.

You need will need node.js (from nodejs.org) and git (from git-scm.com). Once you have those, clone the https://github.com/kasperisager/vanilla-bootstrap repo.

Then run npm install in the root folder of the local repo. That should install all the dependencies.

After you make changes, you rebuild with npm run build also in the root folder.

Happy hacking!

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• jaymzjaymz New
    edited September 2014

@hgtonight‌ - Thanks for responding!

I started that process and I think that's where I failed. Per the instructions (I have node.js and git installed on ubuntu):

web2@webhost1:~/web/forum/themes$ git clone kasperisager/vanilla-bootstrap bootstrap
    fatal: repository 'kasperisager/vanilla-bootstrap' does not exist

I was just running npm install in the root folder of the bootstrap theme (that I downloaded). That was giving me

npm ERR! Error: Attempt to unlock bower@*, which hasn't been locked

Let me give it another whirl.. I'm still learning a bit about cloning repositories on github.

It should be git clone https://github.com/kasperisager/vanilla-bootstrap.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Boom. I think I'm starting to get this a little. I was struggling with the directory locations, git and terminology (bower, gulp, etc). Now I understand and am compiling away.

Thanks @hgtonight ! Really appreciate helping me out from the moron moment I was having :)

• @hgtonight said:
    I literally just set this up today.

You need will need node.js (from nodejs.org) and git (from git-scm.com). Once you have those, clone the https://github.com/kasperisager/vanilla-bootstrap repo.

Then run npm install in the root folder of the local repo. That should install all the dependencies.

After you make changes, you rebuild with npm run build also in the root folder.

Happy hacking!

Just to clarify, this is needed even if I'm only making modifications to the color scheme?

@Skisma said:
    Just to clarify, this is needed even if I'm only making modifications to the color scheme?

You do this if you actually want to maintain a fork of the Bootstrap theme.

Search first