Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Identifying Unread Messages

edited September 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'm using the 2.1 Bootstrap Cerulean theme with Stats Box. My users would like to easily see which threads have unread content. Unfortunately the statsbox plug-in makes the red "new" tags disappear. Paging @hgtonight

Are there any plug-ins or configuration changes I can make. What does this forum use (e.g. 10 comments or 2 New tile)?

Comments

• if you have questions about a plugin causing an issue. the idea is this.

For addon-specific questions, go to its addon page and click the "Ask A Question" link.

you can always use table view plugin.

what is your goal? why are you using statsbox? are you sure statsbox cause the problem?

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/215524/#Comment_215524

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited September 2014

@scottybweyy‌

Bootstrap isn't actually supported on this forum, though people will help out where they can. Kasper has asked that issues be filed on GitHub.

In a standard theme you could set the background colour of unread discussions in custom.css like this:

.Item.Unread { 
        background: none repeat scroll 0 0 #ffff99;
        opacity: 0.9;
    }

Don't know how that translates in Bootstrap, though.

• @peregrine‌ Sorry I wasn't aware I could do that. Will be sure to follow the right process in the future.

I was using statsbox because I wanted to emulate the look of how Vanilla has their community forums setup. When I disable stats box, the "new" orange box appear again beside each thread if it hasn't been read. Will look at the code you referenced and see if I can hash it together. Thank you for all your help here and in other posts!

• @whu606 Hmm I will consider going back to a default theme then. I will tinker around with the CSS example you provided. Thank you for all your help.

• since statsbox hides .HasNew

you have to make them visible. via the comment I referenced above. you may need to add !important.
    and you may want to position via css as well.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

Something similar via table view in the dashboard, /index.php?p=/dashboard/settings/homepage and works fine in bootstrap.

if you make modifications in custom.css, instead of changing plugins css, the next time you download plugin it won't override your changes.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

You can simply remove the following from /plugin/StatsBox/design/statsbox.css:

div.Meta span.CommentCount, .ItemContent .Meta .HasNew {
      display: none;
    }

Should start on line 57 if you haven't modified it before.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @whu606 said:
    scottybweyy‌

Bootstrap isn't actually supported on this forum, though people will help out where they can. Kasper has asked that issues be filed on GitHub.

In a standard theme you could set the background colour of unread discussions in custom.css like this:

.Item.Unread { 
        background: none repeat scroll 0 0 #ffff99;
        opacity: 0.9;
    }

Don't know how that translates in Bootstrap, though.

I ended up disabling the new box since it was going in weird spots when you resized the page.

I ended up getting your suggestion to work for the bootstrap them by using

.Item.Alt.Unread { background: #ffff99; opacity: 0.9; }

I didn't notice a difference when I inserted "none repeat scroll 0 0". Can you elaborate on what that was for?

• edited September 2014

Currently using this. Is there a refresh interval for unread items to be identified? It's not catching everything I'd expect.

.Item.Unread { background: #ffff99; opacity: 0.9; } .Item.Mine.Unread { background: #ffff99; opacity: 0.9; } .Item.Alt.Unread { background: #ffff99; opacity: 0.9; } .Item.Alt.Mine.Unread { background: #ffff99; opacity: 0.9; } Item.New { background: #ffff99; opacity: 0.9; } Item.Alt.New { background: #ffff99; opacity: 0.9; }