Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Styling Question

Hi there,

I have a question related to design. Im using the bootstrap theme which I prefer here www.ukmusic.com

However I want to change just the post section

To this one

(which is the default skin style). So I can see the css etc ... but

What's the way to do this ? is it edit a template or all css. I had a look and couldn't find out how, I know how to edit templates and css but needing pointing in the right direction

Doug.

2.png 40.4K
1.png 52.8K

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Stylesheets are generally located in the appropriate theme's directory. For example, Bittersweet's stylesheet is in /themes/bittersweet/design/custom.css.

The default theme doesn't actually have a stylesheet. It only uses the default css file (which is included on ALL themes by default). You can find it at /applications/dashboard/design/style.css. You shouldn't edit that file, but instead edit the custom.css file of your theme to override and styles you want.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

thanks HG, that's helpful as I didn't know about default style. OK so I get now kind what I have to do , but when I firebug the css and then copy it into the custom it just doesn't work. It seems to bring up loads of loads of CSS sections ? any help appreciated

• Options

for example I only want to edit that 'MessageList Discussion' section, but am struggling to isolote this css and then bring it successfull to custom

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

it's still not real clear what you are trying to achieve. it may be clear to you, but I don't know what you want to style from what to what.

the first image looks nothing like the second image with regards to content.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

if you want to move the avatar inside the box?

experiment with adding to custom.css

.MessageList .Item-Header .PhotoWrap {
    top: 0 !important;
    left:0 !important;
    }

pad and style as necessary.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@peregrine‌

I think the OP wants to restyle the discussion pages to look like plain Vanilla, rather than Bootstrap.

• Options

@whu606 said:
    peregrine‌

I think the OP wants to restyle the discussion pages to look like plain Vanilla, rather than Bootstrap.

oh you must mean the BitterBootstrap theme :wink:

• Options

yeah I want re-style the discussion section but finding it quite hard to work out how this css works

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

may I suggest you post in the proper vanilla 2.1 help category for future posts. unless somehow you are using bootstrap with vanilla 2.0.x

And Bootstrap specific questions should probably be asked here....

http://vanillaforums.org/post/discussion?AddonID=898

normally you would want to post issues with bootstrap theme here

https://github.com/kasperisager/vanilla-bootstrap/issues/new

but since this is so esoteric and extreme, I suspect you wouldn't get much help filing on github.

you might examine the description, clone the theme, and change the less files - if you want to change alot of things properly.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/bootstrap-theme

• Options

thanks guys, well after a late night, I got there, pretty painful (I hate CSS) but it's done.

Thanks so such all for your help !

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

As esoteric as it may seem.....

believe it or not. someone is going to ask you 6 to 9 months from now what changes you made :) and how you did it. so, if you have a zip of your custom.css - you might consider posting it, if that is all you changed.

• or your solution.

• Options

just hacked the crap out of the custom.css and style.css , between those two got the job done.