Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Unread discussions in sub-categories not causing "Unread" class to be added to parent-categories.

KlutzKlutz New
edited December 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

If I have the following category hierarchy:
Root Heading Category Category A Category B Category B1 Category B2

In the category view, the "Unread" class will be properly applied to "Category A" if it includes unread discussions.

However, the "Unread" class will NOT be applied to "Category B" is there are unread discussions in "Category B1" or "Category B2".

This means that, simply looking at the category view, you cannot know if there is any new content.

Is this the expected behavior? Is this a bug? Is there a fix in the works?

Any way to fix this?

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I believe this is expected behavior.

Anyone else have any input?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight said:
    I too, believe this is expected behavior.

I think it is expected just like the other is expected.

I suggested he make a feature request on github, don't know if he did.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/221293/#Comment_221293

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• There, just filed 2 issues on Github.

• If this is the expected behaviour, is the following statement in line with the development philosophy?
    Or is it simply a symptom of the sub-category feature being relatively new?

Vanilla forums does not consider discussions in a sub-category to also be part of the parent category.

• I know this thread is quite old, but I was wondering if @Klutz find an answer to his problem ...

If anyone else has a solution I'm REALLY interrested !

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@Klutz said:

Vanilla forums does not consider discussions in a sub-category to also be part of the parent category.

Discussions belong to a single category. The relation of that category to other categories is irrelevant as far as the discussion is concerned.

@MrVlad I am not sure if anyone else is looking for this behavior.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Categories are groups of discussions, you can't have read categories as far as I know. Only read discussions on the discussions index list.

• @hgtonight @vrijvlinder thanks for your answers ! I know its not an issue nor a bug, but a great portion of my users still refer to the category view as the only way to browse the forum ...

That's why I'm trying to find a solution to at least set a notification on the sub category itself (not the main one).

The truth must be out there :) !