Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

CategoriesSimple module to add categories to the menu bar

Comments

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Headband Afficionado Cole Harbour, NS ✭✭✭

I've definitely checked that one out! In fact, I should have started off with trying to customize that theme rather than fudging around with bittersweet. I love the full-width aspect. As you can see from http://trstri.com/forum-dev/ though, some combination of plugins seems to have broken some of that theme, and I'm not sure if I'll start fresh with that one or stick with my current tack. Hmm.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I can help you fix anything with my themes to make them work for you. Hell i have fixed other people's themes too.

But it is easier when it is my work coz I know how to fix it fast.. :D

• Options

or smatch :)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

to fix the avatar stuff find Line 1044 and replace with this

a.Button, .ButtonGroup .Button, #Content input.Button, .Button, .MeButton, .AttachFileLink a, .Back a, .NavButton, .MeBox .PhotoWrap, #Content .PhotoWrap img, a.ChangePicture:hover, select, .ReactButton, .InformMessages .Actions a {
    background: #c30;
    background-image: 0 color-stop(0.63,rgb(204,51,0)) );
    text-shadow: 0 -1px 0 #800;
    box-shadow: inset 0 1px 0 rgba(255,255,255,0.3), inset 0 -1px 2px rgba(0,0,0,0.3);
    -moz-box-shadow: inset 0 1px 0 rgba(255,255,255,0.3), inset 0 -1px 2px rgba(0,0,0,0.3);
    -webkit-box-shadow: inset 0 1px 0 rgba(255,255,255,0.3), inset 0 -1px 2px rgba(0,0,0,0.3);
    border: 1px solid #222;
    border-radius: 3px;
    color: #fff;
    padding: 6px;
    font-weight: bold;
    }

• Options

That is awesome, thanks! I'll have to take a deep breath tomorrow and make myself do the right thing I guess :) And I'm guessing it's safe to assume that I can use categoriesdropdown with betterbitter, and get my horizontal categories with drop-down subs. With a bit of work of course.

• Options

Yes it is I use that with another forum using BetterBitter. That is why I call it that, coz it is Better ;)

• Options

Yes @peregrine‌ , very likely :) At this point I might just start up a whole new installation, apply the theme, add plugins, debug/style, and then import my posts later.

• Options

Ha! I just noticed the on/off switches that replace the checkboxes. That's slick.

• Options

Yes , even though that theme is the most simple theme I worked on I could not resist adding some extravagant touches. You should see some of my other themes, Like Redwood, all the buttons are wood and so are the checkboxes.

• Options

Oh I think I've seen most or all of your themes :) Pretty impressive. I need to keep it very simple for my users, they're mostly coming from experience with this thing called gforum (I think? it's commercial) here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/

• Options

Alright, I've gotta finally go to sleep. I'm going to switch my dev site back to the my old theme as I'm getting feedback from a few others on features/etc, but I'll send you a note tomorrow to let you know how the clean betterbitter install is going :)

• Options
    edited December 2014

If the could muddle through that hell this will be a breeze of fresh air...

Yes BetterBitter is my attempt at making a simple flat theme. I had to stop before it became like my others ... hehehe

• Options

hahaha!! yes it will!!

• Options

FYI @peregrine‌ and @hgtonight‌ , it looks like I am going to try using my CategoriesSimple module after all. Can't get categoriesdropdown to work in my bittersweet clone, and sorry @vrijvlinder‌ but the betterbitter theme is going to take a lot of tweaking that I don't have time for :(

• Options

You aren't alone. I can't get categoriesdropdown to work either.

• Options

@Anonymoose‌ if I ever get the drop-down bits working, I'll make a solid effort to clean up the code and offer it as a plugin (if it'll even work as a plugin).

• Options

@AaronWebstey said:
    Anonymoose‌ if I ever get the drop-down bits working, I'll make a solid effort to clean up the code and offer it as a plugin (if it'll even work as a plugin).

I am still not sure what you want aside from genric dropdown. if you could list the exact things you want to appear in menu and what you want as dropdown. that would be cool. specific names

what are the top menu items you want and what are the items associated with each parent. or do you have it all working as you want.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Oh, whoops! I didn't really explain that too well did I. In the attached screenshot, I've highlighted the menu bar area in question (no, the red rectangle is not part of my design :) ). I do just want generic dropdown - when I mouseover and/or click on one of those links (which are my root categories), I'd like to have a drop-down that shows subcategories. I feel like the CSS should be pretty easy for this, but I haven't had time to find a suitable example and try it yet.

• Options
    edited December 2014

@AaronWebstey said:
    vrijvlinder‌ but the betterbitter theme is going to take a lot of tweaking that I don't have time for :(

Well it is good you tell me now before I spend anymore time fixing it and then you decide you don't want to use it anymore and waste my time.

You could actually change the bittersweet to php like I did and all plugins will work.

Or learn how to use the Bootstap theme which has ways to crete dropdown built in.

The caregories dropdown works for me in 6 forums with various themes. If people don't have it enabled and just say it does not work, @Anonimouse that means jack to me. Unless I get a link and can see what is happening it work for me. Capitto ?

This will help you learn how to make a dropdown using only css.

http://www.cssportal.com/css3-menu-generator/#