Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Error 414 (Request-URI Too Large) when embedding (2.1.6)

jdfinch3jdfinch3 New
edited January 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I am trying to embed vanilla into my site. I have gone through all the steps multiple times and keep getting the same results.

The forums work fine when not embedded, but when loading the page after embedding I just see a few squares (a loading image sequence) and then a blank page. I checked for js errors and found this:

GET long URL 414 (Request-URI Too Large)

I've searched google and the vanilla forums, but can't find a solution. Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    jdfinch3jdfinch3 New
    edited January 2015

So it appears my options are to increase the size limit in apache (I don't appear to have access to changing apache config, so that's out), or figure out how to change from GET to POST. There's surely a simple solution...

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

The simple solution is to not embed or embed at a higher point in the web root.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

@hgtonight said:
    The simple solution is to not embed or embed at a higher point in the web root.

Hmm..is there a medium level solution? lol

• Options

The problem, to clarify, is that vanilla is generating a url that is over 8,000 characters long. This can't be intended behavior.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@jdfinch3 said:
    The problem, to clarify, is that vanilla is generating a url that is over 8,000 characters long. This can't be intended behavior.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD

Mind sharing a link?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Empty site right now - but here's the link for the forums. http://jalexygames.com/forums/

• Options

is there some kind of infinite loop happening in the url. is it repeating itself.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@peregrine said:
    is there some kind of infinite loop happening in the url. is it repeating itself.

It looks like that's possibly the problem. If you go to the page and check the js console you can see the url.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

@jdfinch3 said:
    It looks like that's possibly the problem. If you go to the page and check the js console you can see the url.

now try to figure out why. :)

maybe some weird redirection occurs during building. I don't use it, so i can't advise.

or some variable is looping because it is empty.

easy to say,

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
  • Options

Check your htaccess file or post it here and also what config for rewrite URL and where is the main forum is it here ? coz that's bad..

• Options
    jdfinch3jdfinch3 New
    edited January 2015

@vrijvlinder said:
    Check your htaccess file or post it here and also what config for rewrite URL and where is the main forum is it here ? coz that's bad..

Thank you for your help. I don't quite understand your question, but I can post the htaccess info. I tried it in the original format and also modified as such (both with the same result):

# Modified
    # If you modify this file then change the above line to: # Modified
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
       RewriteEngine On
       # Certain hosts may require the following line.
       # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /. 
       # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
       RewriteBase /forums
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
       RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]
    </IfModule>

• Options

ok the second part of the question was what do you have for rewrite url , look inside the config.php and find

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls']= TRUE;

If it is not there please put it in..

• Options

I don't have a config.php file at all...

Looking through the original downloaded files, I don't see it there either.

• Options

The config file gets generated when you install Vanilla. Please look inside the conf folder and find it. Otherwise reinstall it.

• Options

Ok, got it.

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE;

is there.

• Options

Please give me the link to the actual forum.

Disable the embed from the dashboard.

• Options
    edited January 2015

Just a note, You can't use the same url for the link to the forum where you embedded as the forum.

If you installed the forum in yoursite/forums

and you have another site called yoursite/forums on the same domain or subdomain you will have problems

You need to make the url of the page where you embedded some other name like forum or forum2 but you can't use forums if that is the url of you main site .

• Options

Success - thank you! I was indeed embedding the forum in the actual location of the forum. :(