Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

a dating/community script?

edited October 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
wondering if anyone else is interested in a dating/web community script?

Comments

• Yep, I'm working on one... but it's on hold for a while, cuz I got bored :P
  • Iimagine that there is a great demand for such a script. I know that it's a personal project, but if you ever decide to sell a copy of it, when/if you finish it, please let me know.
  • Making Vanilla more community-oriented was a big part of what I had in mind by proposing a Friends extension:

http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/2918/extension-idea-friends/#Item_4

Not sure if it would have relevance to a dating site, but it would definitely seem relevant for any site that had a community/social networking flavor. Vanilla seems to have all the ingredients for that, it's just how you stitch them together and extend the platform.
  • "but it's on hold for a while, cuz I got bored " hahaa, finish it & find some real dates? /seriosly dating site is a subcategory of a social networking portals. with lussumo one could create any tags in his\her account (label\ value pairs).it might be more interesting to connect it with something like google base (xml upload your info & download to export) so you could share same information across different sites and services (no need to input it all again). but thats something bigger than lussumo. name:mark computer:mac pet: cat favourite color: vanilla yellow
  • houseinprogress, yes a Friends extension would extend vanilla into this whole community (maybe dating) area. I'd be willing to pay for such a script (dating). Heck, it would bve cool if a number of us came in together and donated towards the cost of making it. Toivo, never thought of the xml angle previously. I see wonderful opportunities to extend vanilla into the dating/community site arena.
  • i agree with strawberries. i would like to help develop such a script (design, consultation - i don't do programming). And I am willing to pay for such a script. I think that this add-on doesn't have to be big like google base, myspace or sites like that. in my experience certain add-ons like private messaging, chat, profile and profile matching would greatly improve vanilla and with combination of upcoming blog software it could be just the thing we all need/want.
  • great to hear that you are interested too, Fuchka. Do you have an email address or somewhere to contact you at? Mine is strawberries at love2escape.com or on yahoo messenger, i am love2escape2000 I have been researching dating scripts for a year or so....and the best three I have found are phpizabi; datemill; and phpfox. But after seeing how awesome the vanilla framwork/code is, I much prefer to build the dating script on this platform. Anyone else interested in developing a dating script?
  • I will pick this up after my Vanilla Mint theme :) If more people are interested, I could use your help in building it :) I'll let you know when I'm continuing the project ;)
  • that is great news, jazzman! if you need any photoshop work done, or testing, let me know.
  • ToivoToivo New
    edited July 2006
    mhhh. I dont get wht so different about these sites. Except that video introductions are emerging These look all the same to me. http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/07/23/online-dating-20-thirteen-sites-to-find-love/
  • edited July 2006
    Toiva, that is a GREAT article - thanks for posting the link to it in here. More and more dating sites seem to be offering listings for free, and making their money from google adsense and similar schemes. plentyoffish dot com seems to be one amazing example of this type of business model. Some reports suggest the owner is making 10,000 dollars per day from this.
  • really? I would'nt dare to bet everything on ad dollars (if I would start a portal).
  • edited July 2006
    in recent times, nearly every personals site is offering totally free membership i have been startled by the change in their business models. I have to assume that the dating game is now so competitive that FREE is the way to go. Yes-sir-ee.
  • A dating site built around the lussomo framework will be awesome. Other interested people can drop me an email.
  • I meant to add that my email address is strawberries at love2escape dot com
  • <bump> thanks to those who wrote to me last time. Anyone else interested in a dating/community script based on the lussomo framework, drop me a line.
  • 4 posts in a row, SCORE!!
  • lol Can't wait to see what Jazzman can come up with. His work is awesome. Meanwhile I will ensure beers are in the fridge.
  • If my wife would only allow me to date.
This discussion has been closed.