Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Upgrading an Older Version of Vanilla

Hello everyone, I've been using Vanilla for a few months now, and have been a bit slack on upgrades. Mostly due to the fear that I'll screw something up, and lose everything.

I'm not the most technically competent person, and am a touch confused about the upgrade process.

Is there a go-to person who does work for hire for such things as upgrades?

If no, I'll have a crack at the update myself. I couldn't find a thread on duplicating a forum to a different domain for testing, is there one on the subject?

Thanks!

Whistler

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Hallo!

What version of Vanilla are you currently running?

Upgrades are generally painless as long as you haven't modified the core and follow the upgrade instructions (including the back up step!).

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/master/README.md#upgrading

If you still don't feel comfortable doing it, PM me and I can assist you as a freelancer.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

I really did try to find this in the Dashboard... But where does it say the version?

• Options

The version should be in the lower right hand corner of your dashboard; in the footer.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

shot

Missing. Might be due to some custom modifications I had done. Is that the sort of core modification that could make things less painless?

I think it was the version before the security patch.

Thanks for you help hgtonight :)

• Options
    jackmaessenjackmaessen ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015

As long as no database update is needed, i usually upgrade manually by editing the core files by looking to the differences what are made: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/compare/39780c8f7551fc755ccc8b7df1cc2e5f43c63ca0...aed68a7d784577d290a06176e0ea447de0ff16b8
    I open the files, add the "green" lines into the files and delete the "red" lines. After editing, i upload the whole stuff to the webserver again.
    Reason: it forces me to look to the code and i am trying to understand why these added lines (or changed lines) are better.

But if there is a reason to do it NOT like this (even when no DB update is necessary) , please let me know ...

• Options

But if there is a reason to do it NOT like this

Biggest reason is probably because I have no familiarity working with code. Not sure I'd understand an ounce of what's going on there. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Options

@Whistler The application version should be defined in your index.php file.

Search first

• Options

I have this software I quite like this but I want it ha to come with more modification.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@BryanM35

Welcome to the community.

Please don't ask new questions on existing threads.

Please search the forum for possible answers before posting a question.

Think about the modifications you want, and what the key search terms might be.

Then search this forum; chances are the question has been asked and answered before.

If you can't find the answer, post a new question, with a clear title, saying what you would like, and what you have done to look for it.

• Options

@hgtonight - Apologies for the delay on this, I must have missed the notification. I just checked my Index.php.

define('APPLICATION_VERSION', '2.1');

So I'm thinking this would be 2.1 :).

I've sent you a PM as well @hgtonight

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited April 2015

I don> @jackmaessen said:

As long as no database update is needed, i usually upgrade manually by editing the core files by looking to the differences what are made: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/compare/39780c8f7551fc755ccc8b7df1cc2e5f43c63ca0...aed68a7d784577d290a06176e0ea447de0ff16b8
    I open the files, add the "green" lines into the files and delete the "red" lines. After editing, i upload the whole stuff to the webserver again.
    Reason: it forces me to look to the code and i am trying to understand why these added lines (or changed lines) are better.

But if there is a reason to do it NOT like this (even when no DB update is necessary) , please let me know ...

I really don't recommend this at all. Would have to know for certain what commit you were on to create diff to the released commit.

I have seen it done wrong, and it can be a mess to sort out. it also can give people the false impression they have upgraded when in fact they have created a hybrid fork with the wrong version number.

grep is your friend.

• Options

I just wanted to give props to @hgtonight, who I private messaged back and forth with a couple of times and he ended up helping me upgrade my Vanilla install. Not only did he do he do the upgrade but he made everything he was doing super clear - even for a non-coder like me :+1: