Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Permissions can not be changed

Hi there,

I had V. 2.1.8p2 installed. I noticed a huge amount of registrations from spam users. Some of these users were able to change the config data (I noticed that via the log/time stamp at the end of the file). So I installed a new Forum (V. 2.1.9) and imported the data (Vanilla Porter).

Now I have the problem that no role permissions can be changed in the forum. Every changes get just resetted after saving.

What's happening here? The spam user registrations didn't stop after new installation. Is this a serious security issue?

Greetings!

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

It sounds like your Role table is mucked up. If this is the case, you will need to rebuild it.

Were you able to change the role permissions in you 2.1.8p2 install?

Porter should only be used to generate an import file from other forum software (including Vanilla 1). Using it for an upgrade will cause you to lose data during the transfer since porter does not support role permissions.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Thank you for the fast answer.

I did not change any permissions in 2.1.8p2, so I can not give you informations about that.

I thought it is better to use the porter plugin for security reasons as the 2.1.8p2 has been hacked. I hope the access by the hacker is restricted now (it may would consist if i just performed an upgrade to 2.1.9?)