Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Is it possible to only show root categories in the Panel menu?

Currently all categories show, but I don't want to show child categories, only parents.

Is this possible? And if so, how?

Thanks!

Answers

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Do you want the child categories to be accessible at all?

If you do, this might be what you are looking for:

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/expandablecategories-plugin

• Hi @whu606 - thanks for that, but i'm guessing all that does is create an expandable list? I want the root categories to still be links to their respective categories, and from there the users can choose if they want to view a child category.

i'm guessing the easiest way would be to simply hide the child categories in CSS e.g. .PanelCategories .Depth2 { display: none}

What do you think?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

css would work, but I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve.

Are you talking about on the categories page, or in the Panel Categories menu, or both?

• Hi, just the categories in the Panel menu. I've done it with CSS now, but just wondered if there was a 'proper' way of doing it.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@pavsid said:
    Hi whu606 - thanks for that, but i'm guessing all that does is create an expandable list? I want the root categories to still be links to their respective categories, and from there the users can choose if they want to view a child category.

i'm guessing the easiest way would be to simply hide the child categories in CSS e.g. .PanelCategories .Depth2 { display: none}

What do you think?

For what it is worth, parent categories are still able to be clicked on in that plugin.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• pavsidpavsid New
    edited April 2015

How so? Clicking on them for me just expanded the menu, it didn't link to the category page

What browser and version are you running?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• chrome 41

..but the way it worked for me is expected behaviour, clicking would have to expand the menu else how would it reveal the child items?

@pavsid I was thinking about the build I have locally. I have the click handler on just the arrow, not the whole link.

Sorry for the red herring.

Search first