Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Bug is detected with social sharing buttons

steamsteam www.planamigo.org - #1 foro planes amigo
edited June 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I've seen articles plugin is using personal table on data base for comments.
When you have facebook and twitter for sharing on article generated bad url to share.
Then fails with lack of arguments

/post/facebook/?id=

and expected (get from discussions)
/post/facebook/comment?id=42

I don't think that is the core failure.
And I don't understand why articles comments are not stored in the same core vanilla table.

Comments

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited June 2015

Those social sharing buttons are meant for Vanilla discussions. There was a bug where those icons would show up on article comments because it used the same event name for the output. This has been fixed in the development version of Articles, but there currently is no Facebook or Twitter sharing buttons for article comments.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• steamsteam www.planamigo.org - #1 foro planes amigo

Thanks for reply. I can download the development version of Articles where this bug is fixed isn't it ?

@Shadowdare said:
    Those social sharing buttons are meant for Vanilla discussions. There was a bug where those icons would show up on article comments because it used the same event name for the output. This has been fixed in the development version of Articles, but there currently is no Facebook or Twitter sharing buttons for article comments.

Can I download the development version of Articles ? Is it stable version ?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

edited June 2015

@steam said:
    Can I download the development version of Articles ? Is it stable version ?

Check out the link to the GitHub repo that @hgtonight posted above. You can just make the change to stop the Vanilla social sharing buttons from showing up.

You can also give the development version a try and see how it goes. The current development changes won't crash your website, so you can put back the stable release at any time. I've been testing the current development changes and, so far, found a couple bugs with the body text box formatting after disabling the Button Bar plugin and switching to the new Advanced Editor plugin in Vanilla 2.2 beta 1 in the compose form.

Please pardon me for the delay of the next release. I've been busy with a lot of other work lately. I'll try to work on some bug fixes and get an updated release when I can.

edited June 2015

@Shadowdare dijo:
    Please pardon me for the delay of the next release. I've been busy with a lot of other work lately. I'll try to work on some bug fixes and get an updated release when I can.

I understand, thank you for everything.

It would be nice for next articles release have option to select similar articles on the article bottom (on case that does not found on this category random 3-5 articles like links). What do you thinking about ?

Greetings.

• @steam said:
    It would be nice for next articles release have option to select similar articles on the article bottom (on case that does not found on this category random 3-5 articles like links). What do you thinking about ?

Nice idea, @steam. I'm thinking of a section under an article that says something like "Similar Articles," which would show 3-5 links of articles from the same category. If not enough articles exist in the category, then it would load up articles from other categories and would say something like "Other Articles." Would the list of articles be totally random, or the latest articles (excluding the current article) in random order?

edited June 2015

@Shadowdare dijo:
    Nice idea, steam. I'm thinking of a section under an article that says something like "Similar Articles," which would show 3-5 links of articles from the same category. If not enough articles exist in the category, then it would load up articles from other categories and would say something like "Other Articles." Would the list of articles be totally random, or the latest articles (excluding the current article) in random order?

I would say for both cases same message - "You may be interested in" and show random articles with this category preference (excluding the current article) without complications.
    And if we don't have any articles do not show the section.

Without random select mysql performance:
    ORDER BY RAND() with LIMIT

Or do thinking on performance:

the first one count the number of rows in articles table
    then generate a random number between 0 and this count
    then the second query get this rows only

You know there are many ways performance random select ...

The simpler process will be less maintenance and fewer errors.

edited June 2015

@steam, thank you for the idea. :) I added the similar/random articles list feature on the to-do list in the issue tracker on the GitHub repo and will see about adding it in later.