PLUGIN : Animated forum "tour".
Hi gents !
As you may know, my previous attempt to create a vanilla plugin has been quite unsuccessful, but I did not give up hope yet ^^ !
I switched from smf to vanilla 2 months ago and my community seems to enjoy it, however, some people are still confused with a few of the new functionnalities.
So, I thought of developping a sort of "guided tour" plugin in order help our newest members, and I attached a gif to show you the result (working prototype on my local installation ... yeah I know it's a mess).
As you may see despite the size of the animation, there is a "tutorial mode" triggered when the user press the "Besoin d'aide" (Need help) button. The background is darkened and some modals are triggered to describe various elements of the forum.
What I've done so far (the easy stuff):
- js, html & css (all responsive yeaaaaah !).
- created a plugin to enable/disable tutorial mode. With profile extender, I created a dropdown (yes/no) so user can display/hide the tutorial button.
Why I need help (the hard stuff):
- As for now, my plugin loads an html template which is (to sum up quickly) a ul **list containing 3 **li elements. Each element is in fact a step in the tutorial you can see above (little popups).
- I'd like to make things more dynamic so I thought of creating an admin interface. Using @R_J useful article, I created a setting page with some inputs for each of the three steps ... but I can't figure how to use their values
What I'd like to do (the awesome yet harder stuff):
- @hgtonight's application yaga features a great system where users can create badge and other entities. What I'd like to do is to create an interface where admins can create custom tutorials.
- The structure would be :
- gdn_tutorials -> contains tutorial objects
- each tutorial objects has a number of properties (nb of steps, where to display the tutorial, enabled/disabled)
- each steps has a number of fields, like 'title', 'description', 'picture', etc.
I used symfony to create a collection of forms once, but now it's way harde ... anyway to sum up, I need to create an interface where I can add tutorials (elements) and another interface to add steps inside a tutorial .... pfeeeew !
I (tried to) start from the yaga code, but to be honest I don't understand a damn thing (well ... a little bit actually) even if it is very well written.
Any help from you guys would be awesome ! Btw: don't hesitate to give your advice on the plugin itself !