Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

"Select a category" not listed as first option on "New Discussion" page and "Ask a Question" page

ProsperProsper ✭✭
edited October 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Select a category is not listed as first option on "New Discussion" page and "Ask a Question" page when I check the checkbox "Display root categories as headings." on manage category page on dashboard.
Please how can I add "choose a category" as the first option on drop-down menu on "New Discussion" page and "Ask a Question" page? Vanilla version is 2.1.11.
See screenshots below;

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

in 2.2.x

Select a Category only shows if you start a new discussion from recent discussions.

if you start a new discussion while viewing a category it will show that category.

in 2.1.11 and 2.1.12 I believe it shows a blank.

it is controlled by $IncludeNull

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    ProsperProsper ✭✭
    edited October 2015

@peregrine
    I'm still using vanilla 2.1.11.
    I want most of the bugs on 2.1.12 to be fixed before I update.

"Select a category" does not show when I start new discussion from recent discussion page and also while viewing a category.
    This happens because of dashboard selecting of checkbox "Display root categories as heading"

If I uncheck the checkbox "Display root catgories as heading" then "select a category" will show. Unfortunately, I prefer to display root categories as heading.

Any idea on how to fix this abnormality?

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Does it disappear on a default theme (e.g. Bittersweet)?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

@hgtonight. Yes it does disappear on bittersweet default theme.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I spun up a Vanilla 2.1.11 install locally and do not see this behavior.

What plugins are you using?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

I think issue has been solved after upgrading to vanilla 2.2
    Thanks - @hgtonight