Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Community moderated anti-spam for open source Vanilla?

sb56637sb56637
edited October 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi everyone,

I have a very active forum that I'm considering migrating to Vanilla's self hosted open source version. But one feature that is critical to the way my community works is community moderated spam control. Basically, all users need to be able to flag a post as spam, and if a post is flagged a certain number of times it should be removed or added to the spam moderation queue, and if a given user has enough of his posts flagged by enough users his account should be blocked. I have been experimenting with YAGA but I can't seem to find a way to make YAGA reactions act on posts to delete them or add them to the spam queue. Is this feasible with YAGA or any other Vanilla plugins I'm not aware of yet?

This system works extremely well for eliminating human-generated spam in my community that runs on a different forum software, and is a critical piece of functionality that I would need to switch to Vanilla, which otherwise looks perfect for my needs.

Thanks a lot.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

There is the Flagging plugin. It is in the core download.

I am definitely interested in getting an auto-burying mechanic integrated into Yaga. Maybe even integrate nicely with the flagging plugin.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Hi @hgtonight thanks for the reply and for creating YAGA.

The problem with the the core Flagging plugin is that it still requires manual moderator intervention. In my current community, it works really well for posts that are flagged over a certain threshold to automatically be removed, and then I as the admin/moderator occasionally review the list of removed posts to make sure it's all truly spam.

• Options

You must have a forum that isn't very contentious. Because if your members tend to disagree often, such functionality is always misused against controversial posters, rather than spammers or trolls.